Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hubs on all feels good. Given it a bit of toe out to make it lively don't tell housey

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely when the drive flanges are pressed in, the circlip rotates in its groove when running?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's how Vauxhall designed it!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to begin..........

Mallory Park with the Elderkin and a surprise guest..........HARVEY!!!!!! and the lovely Amanda!!

I've been fitting some lifts for Euro Car Parts in their new 'kin huge warehouse in Tamworth, so I drove the car up to site Wednesday then off to Elder's house to fit some knuckles he'd prepared, we pressed the LMF flanges in and threw them on the car. I also put the Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads on aswell and instantly the brake pedal felt better, it was 2am at this point so we retired to the house for a shower and a snuggle.

I went back to ECP for Thursday and Iain did some Harry Potter magic to make my wheels point straight.

Thursday afternoon, load up the trailers, too much cheese-less and then early to bed!!

Got to Mallory at 7am this morning, we had a garage booked

Race booties!!!

Got out for a few sessions, learning the track, Mallory is a great circuit, short lap but lots to work on.

Predictably Iain blew up a CV

But I'll let him give his racing driver excuses!!

Quick few laps from the afternoon, chasing an MR2 that wouldn't let me by on the straights!!

Decided after lunch to get a ride along with Mark from Javelin and get a look at the lines I was using and see if he could help improve anything, Mark's a nice guy and gave me some good tips on track position, he said I was very efficient with the pedals, no coasting into braking zones and appyling the power smoothly and consistently.

Unfortunately the white of Mark's helmet interfered with the camera and it couldn't see the track!!!

Having managed 8 laps with him this happened

As for the failure it seems the drive flange has split in 2 where the radius is, the threaded end of the CV with the castle nut has snapped off and dissapeared. It's just luck that the MX5 was in-front of me in Goddards and I was slower through there, had I been full chat then I don't know what could have happened!!

Without any question I'll be ordering machined knuckles and Audi bearings Tuesday either from Hockley or from Iain's mate. This is un-believable, from what I've heard it's sheer luck that it didn't spit the wheel out and send us off into the barriers.

The disc has made love to the caliper but I think it's salvageable, the pads are also luckily ok!! More pics to follow when I get it apart, I guess it's an excuse for Iain and I to add a little surprise we've got planned before out next track day!!

As for the diff, it's off the scale, very very happy with it!!
    Last edited by House; 28-05-16 at 04:15 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some pics, courtesy of lovely Amanda xxx

Team Shonky Vauxhall

Busted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ffs so much excitement and I spent the day Sat indoors less then 30 mins away. And you managed to get Harvey out Ffs I want a pasanger ride in that astra

But all in all you are all gay and I hate your faces. Cars are gay and can't even last a days racing pfftttttt
    ^^^ did you just read that? what a idiot ^^^

PROJECT 2 FAST 2 FAT clicky

''lifes what happens, while your busy making plans''

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the failure it seems the drive flange has split in 2 where the radius is, the threaded end of the CV with the castle nut has snapped off and dissapeared.
    Ooouch! Looks like you got a bit lucky there, quite how you managed to retain the wheel is a mystery, I suppose the brake caliper was just tight enough on clearance with the disc to keep the whole assembly in the hub?

I've not really studied the hub to drive shaft fit issue, but with the fitting of a spacer between the CV and the inner bearing being an accepted tweak to limit drive shaft plunge at higher angles of turn, is exposes the hub to greater forces. To my mind it would be way better to have the drive shaft splines extending right through the hub to a point just a mm or so short of the outer face (to allow the hub to be tightened up) thus spreading the load from the hollow hub into the solid shaft.

Looking forward to a blow by blow look/account of your new hub/carrier/CV assembly.

Looking on the bright side at least your engine survived that long high G first corner without complaint.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timing from the video I'm managing a 57 second lap.
    Last edited by House; 28-05-16 at 07:45 AM.