Page 38 of 211 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It looked bloody wet out there, how much were you and iiiiian trying? Shame it wasn't dry as I'd love to see Iain kick your arse

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying hard but very little grip so looks like were pootling unfortunately. Had some good drags up the straight though!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    It looked bloody wet out there, how much were you and iiiiian trying? Shame it wasn't dry as I'd love to see Iain kick your arse
    Iain's a faster driver than me, I've no problem admitting it, he's also built like a racing driver, where as I'm built like a bouncer. Distinct weight advantage!!

We were trying believe me, it was absolute carnage, braking was hit and miss, both of us missing corners due to lock ups, I was faster than Iain in the wet, we found out my rainsports are rated A for wet grip and Iain's Toyo's E rated, massive tyre difference accounted for the estimated 2.5 to 3 seconds a lap I was ahead. Once infront Iain coudln't keep up!!

That being said I do enjoy following him in the dry as I learn what corner speeds are possible. He would kick my arse without doubt, at Cadwell in the dry he was 5 seconds a lap faster than me!!

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoyed the video of you two giving it 110% round Snetterton. Excellent stuff. Have been round the TT Assen track a couple of times in the wet (downpour more like) on a motorbike so I understand how much you must have been struggling at braking and turning. Top entertainment lads, thanks for sharing.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Niek!! It was a lot of fun!! Hoping Donnington will be better this Saturday, hopefully get the dry tyres on and ditch my rear view mirror completely so the internal video looks better!!!

Also, I was amazed that the tyres had temperture in them and were hot and sticky upon returning to the pits!!!

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks hilarious, I can see why you were laughing so much, especially when Iain heading off across the grass, thank god for lots of green run off!

Must say I prefer the 'In-Car' to the 'On-Car' footage, for one the sound is slightly better, also you get to see the driver at work and so get a better idea of just how hard he's working for our entertainment.

Looking forward to the interior mirror free footage coming to a forum soon.....

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The outside footage was for Benn, he was crying about the rear view mirror being in the way!! haha

Might make the outside camera rear view for a different perspective!!

Snow at Donny Saturday sure to be some shonky shenanigans!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went down to see Jay and Darren @ Modus today to chat some chat and admire Darren's new light weight look!!

Also dropped off the new Helix clutch and the most expensive bolts in history!!

Darren's been playing around with measuring the CR, neither the block or the head have been skimmed/decked yet as we're not sure how much may need to be removed.

This is a new block after the one I recovered from we know where had a different 5th main cap that just didn't look right so this is the back-up block, bored, honed and dummy build cleaned, Darren isn't happy it's clean enough yet!!

Crank has also been re-ground as it was in a dreadful state, not been polished yet as it still needs balancing.

Has been nicely shot blasted and Darren is happy with it.

Rods and pistons all balanced up to within 0.1 grams.

Head has been pressure tested and they're happy, chambers CC'd and all 4 match up, both Darren and Jay are really impressed with the chambers and ports, finished to a really high standard which is good.

Jay has taken some weight out of the flywheel, just need to dowel it before balancing.

Now I mention balancing, sneek peak at Modus' new balancer, impressive bit of kit, they balance evey crank that they work on, whether specced or not.

I wasn't allowed any closer as Jay is very protective. Darren is concerned that he's in the little room with the balancer a bit too much, I didn't get a pic but it had an Audi V8 crank on it being done, mine is next now the clutch plate is there!!

They should be making some real progress now, few weeks and there should be some more head building pics.

In other news,

Bought some of this flooring from Halfrauds, sick of lying on the freezing ground on the drive, will be handy when the whole car comes apart next week and lying on my back cleaning underneath up!!!

Did a quick oil change and swapped my ARB round as Iain took great pleasire in telling me I had it round the wrong way!! Oil looked ok, got it all loaded up ready for 4am start tomorrow.

Last edited by House; 20-11-15 at 05:48 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thread name changed as requested

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even got a smiley face!!! Now I feel special, more special than that weirdo Iain!!!

Cheers Mr Southie!!!