Page 33 of 211 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there'll be plenty of use, Snetterton on 21st of this month, then Blyton on 11th October and Donnington in November.

Then it'll be on the drive up on stands all running gear off, internal brake lines fitted, completely stripped underneath and re under sealed, powder coated suspension parts. Back on the road for March. That's tha plan anyway!!!

Gonna strip the interior out and get a full cage welled in aswell.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New camera angle

http://vid27.photobucket.com/albums/...ng/FHD0009.mp4

This one has been improved for shakey ness with some bolts under the bumper lip that were missing!!

As Snetterton is now booked, a few housekeeping jobs to attend to.

Jacked up up to investigate the rumbling when I drive, can't imagine what it could be!!
    Last edited by House; 28-08-15 at 10:58 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New hubs already here being pressed in tomorrow.

As we've got 3 track days planned before winter work commences I'm taking the box off and re sealing the 5th main bearing cap as I don't think I sealed it properly when I built the engine!!

Hoping to get this done tomorrow but the severe weather warning is slowing my pace somewhat!!
    Last edited by House; 28-08-15 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That movement is just scary. New ones should be much better look well machined too.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew they needed doing, they were the last component that hasn't been changed since I bought it!! Checked for movement before Cadwell and they were ok!! Oh well got some decent bearings going in today!! Might even clean up and paint the knuckles!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bearings going in

Managed to get some FAG ones which I'm told are the better of the ones available.

Should get them on the car this afternoon and then out to see my mates kids who want a go out in "Housey's race car" then I need to get the box off tomorrow morning and get this 5th cap sealed up once and for all.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a hell of a lot of movement. CAmera in the bumper is a bit better, bar we cant watch you move and panic...
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    That's a hell of a lot of movement. CAmera in the bumper is a bit better, bar we cant watch you move and panic...
    Don't worry mate, if it all goes really wrong you'll still see me on the bumper cam!!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolute carnage today!!!!!!

As a few of you know, I've had a persistent leak form below the flywheel, after discussion with Iain and Harvey, we reckoned it would be the 5th bearing cap, where the sealant is put in, I didn't realise that the sealer needs to be fired in the little holes with real pressure. In order to do this I got hold of some proper sealer in a mastic tube and a heavy duty mastic gun.

Went and bought an engine crane at 10am this morning.

Complete and utter carnage, engine was a pig to get out, car wasn't jacked up high enough, lost the plot!!!! finally got it out and onto the engine stand!!

As you can see the cap clearly has oil on the outer side, the sealant clearly hasn't bonded to the block towards the bottom of the cap.

The other side is pretty much the same, it simply hasn't bonded to the block, not enough pressure when squirting the sealer in.

So once the cap was back on and bolts in but not tightened I got the mastic gun out and went to town, I laid some mastic in the grooves first before fitting it, then got the nozzle in the holes and squirted like Jenna Jameson in wet gushers 4.

Clearly see the sealant has squirted out the gaps, no doubt the sealant has filled those gaps, you can also see the sealant has filled up under the cap where it bolts down, torqued it all up and got the sump back on with proper sealant too.

Got it off the stand and got the rear oil seal back in, flywheel and clutch, I've fitted my Helix paddle friction plate with a standard cover plate, the standard clutch had a little bit of oil contamination.

Engine is back in, exhaust on, plumbed in, just need to put the tie bars and ARB back in, get some coolant and oil in and see how we get on.

I was pretty happy that the coolant came out blue, after some hard abuse oil doesn't seem to have pushed past the head gasket into the water at all, which is cool.

Should have it back running tomorrow, giving the sealant 24 hours to cure before putting oil back in.

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always enjoyed reading your thread, and continue to do so, entertaining as ever.
    It is nice to see you've finally got it running and are beating it to within an inch of its life....

You're not hanging about fixing the few teething problems either, nice squirting by the way...!

Any chance you can list the part number for the FAG front wheel bearings, I'm probably going to need to replace mine before I put the thing back together (I said hopefully) and as I only want to do it once, I might as well use the best available. Thanks in anticipation.