Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Sure am Boff!!! Picking it up tomorrow at about midday, so hoping to have a chat with them and see the bits that came out.

I'm away on holiday Sunday so not sure Ho much I'll get done with regard back in the car but I'll give it a go!!
    Tidy! will be really interesting to hear/see(?) what they have been doing...

Knowing how fast you work it'll be back in and running by then!
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So got home today from Quaife at 2pm

This was 8pm

https://youtu.be/WSBN83Ne5xE

Road test tomorrow

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Quaife replaced 2nd gear and the 1-2 selector hub, which they also machined a little to give more clearance.

They think it wasn't picked up during their quality control, one of those things.

They fitted the gripper and have replaced all the plates in the Tran-x so I can sell it as new.

To be fair to them, they've been pretty good, could have charged me for everything but I was fair with them, didn't loose my temper which I think probably helped!!
    Last edited by House; 30-08-19 at 12:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

House! I've been reading through your build thread over the last few days (there is quite a lot of it! ) and I have to give you credit for your commitment and thirst for constant improvement!

As for the latest version, I admire people like Ben who have such skills but also the vision. Between you both you have built an awesome car. If mine can end up even half as cool I'll be a happy Chappy.

I'm glad to here the gearbox issues are now resolved too.

Looking forward to seeing more trackway vids

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    House! I've been reading through your build thread over the last few days (there is quite a lot of it! )...........
    I'm glad to here the gearbox issues are now resolved too.

Looking forward to seeing more trackway vids
    Thanks mate,

I guess I just don't know when to call it a day on things, I should have stopped ages ago but you know how it is, I already want to change things on this car, boys gotta have their toys.

Box had to go in today as I'm off on holiday Sunday and I couldn't have relaxed knowing that the engine needed to go back in to see if the box works.

This way I hope I'll be able to chill and try and get a track day booked for the end of the week I'm back. That's the plan anyway!!

I guess it's all come a long way from the humble beginnings when I started this thread! This shell went to Ben for a roll cage and some seat mounts!! He's a bad influence!! But his skills are next level and he's shockingly handsome!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I've heard or read somewhere that the basic off this gearbox was the Honda sequential were Quaife just added an Vauxhall bellhousing on it.
    That would makes you think they had sorted problems like this as some Honda guys are running these gearboxes for some time now..

Are you still going to fit the Gripper diff?
    Yes this is the Honda sequential with an F20 bell housing attached and F20 diff housing.

As for sorting the problems already I guess it's one of those things, quality control rejected part ends up in the production line. It happens.

I think the best thing I did was to not go in guns blazing and to try and work with them on it, they know I wanted it back and working, getting irate wouldn't have helped speed that process up, if anything it would have slowed it down cos they'd think I'm a nobhead. (Wait for Iain's comment).

Quaife fitted the Gripper diff for me whilst the box was apart so I'll be interested to see how that feels. They also fully re-built the tran x for me. Funnily enough I was told they prefer to fit Gripper LSD's or their own ATB. They're not a fan of the Tran X, despite it being a product they manufacture!!

Wish they'd told me that originally!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Approximately 120 miles of road use done. Box feels loads better, still clunky out of 1st but no crunching into second.

I think I'll use the clutch 1-2 just to help it a little, I use the clutch on all downshifts anyway.

Diff feels really strong, no rattling or clattering like before.

First trackday booked 14/9/19 at Blyton Park. Bit of a trek for me but good circuit and most importantly my TSV support crew can be in attendance as it's their localish track

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news House!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diff feels really strong, no rattling or clattering like before.
    I did tell you to bosh in a Gripper from the start but know your reasons for the Tran-X. Does it feel like my diff when you had a blast round Blyton or have you not really had is 'working' on the road?

First trackday booked 14/9/19 at Blyton Park. Bit of a trek for me but good circuit and most importantly my TSV support crew can be in attendance as it's their localish track.
    I'm only coming for the pizza as previous discussed, screw the cars.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah hard to say until it's on track Harv but I'm looking forward to a proper test in it