Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Few little things, nothing too major.

Remote oil filter housing and laminova cooler mounts, hopefully gonna squeeze the laminova above the steering rack, or around that area, removing the water pipe from behind the engine and making a custom alloy pipe water system to feed the cooler.

As I'm running a custom heater matrix and need a way of diverting the hot water away from the matrix, I shamelessly stole this idea from Project Binky, Ford Ranger heater valve.

Quick explanation, water flow via blue line, purple valve set to closed (cold air)

Water flow via blue line, purple valve set to open (hot air)

Push pull cable to activate

As I'm sure everyone is thinking this is a cheque book build and I can't make anything myself, I modified it as it's vacuum activated, no good for me, removed the vacuum actuator and did a bit of welding, made up a lever for it and welded that on, had to buzz it and throw it in a bucket of water a few times as the butterfly is plastic and i had to be real careful, melting it would have been counter productive.

Bit of matt black.

Ready to go, just needs a little clip for the cable, worry about that once we've decided where to mount it.

Quaife tell me the box should be ready last days of October or the first few days of November.
    Last edited by House; 02-12-18 at 07:16 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought this was gonna be a propper racecar, so what do you need that heater matrix for?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I always thought this was gonna be a propper racecar, so what do you need that heater matrix for?
    Nothing Team Shonky Vauxhall do is proper mate!!

Heater matrix is a simple choice, had a wet day with Craig at CC, the screen misted up, couldn't see, needed warm air to de-mist, red car has a heated screen but it didn't work properly.

The matrix won't detract anything from the engine, hence the valve, it'll just be a closed loop when the heat is off and on the rare occasions I need screen clearing, mainly wet days, I won't be flat out anyway.

I looked into electric options but the amperage was disgusting. This is the best plan by far.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Nothing Team Shonky Vauxhall do is proper mate!!

Heater matrix is a simple choice, had a wet day with Craig at CC, the screen misted up, couldn't see, needed warm air to de-mist, red car has a heated screen but it didn't work properly.

The matrix won't detract anything from the engine, hence the valve, it'll just be a closed loop when the heat is off and on the rare occasions I need screen clearing, mainly wet days, I won't be flat out anyway.

I looked into electric options but the amperage was disgusting. This is the best plan by far.
    I still think it's
    even with an misted screen you should be able to beat Iain, right?

the rest of the work looks top notch. looks like it is gonna be ready for paint by the end of the year..?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I still think it's
    even with an misted screen you should be able to beat Iain, right?

the rest of the work looks top notch. looks like it is gonna be ready for paint by the end of the year..?
    Iain loves a challenge, the misted screen might have been a good handicap system.

I think paint this year might be pushing it but, it's possible. More than likely it'll be early Jan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm relying on House being too scared to bend the new shell - with 250bhp and sequential I'll take the moral victory if I don't get lapped.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC the old Ford KA valve is the same, but cable activated so you wouldnt have had to make anything, and keep your garage jewlery title

When I made the heater box for the VX220, I put a VW T25 valve in parallel to the matrix so when fully open it was easier for the water to flow through the valve, and vice versa. More or less worked but still had slightly warm air when open

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    IIRC the old Ford KA valve is the same, but cable activated so you wouldnt have had to make anything, and keep your garage jewlery title

When I made the heater box for the VX220, I put a VW T25 valve in parallel to the matrix so when fully open it was easier for the water to flow through the valve, and vice versa. More or less worked but still had slightly warm air when open
    That was my original idea, just to add a parallel valve but another guy I know has this aswell and like you say it still blew a little hot air when set to "cold"

This is the neatest solution I could find!! I didn't know the KA had a cable valve, that is frustrating.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I'm relying on House being too scared to bend the new shell - with 250bhp and sequential I'll take the moral victory if I don't get lapped.
    It'll be plenty close enough.