Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the new rear axle looks good!

don't you have a brake proportioning valve? that can maybe sort the rear brakes from locking up..
    by the look of the wheelnuts you will be needing some longer wheel studs too..

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    the new rear axle looks good!

don't you have a brake proportioning valve? that can maybe sort the rear brakes from locking up..
    by the look of the wheelnuts you will be needing some longer wheel studs too..
    Wheel studs are fine,plenty of penetration on them, as for the proportioning valve, Iain and I are just discussing that very thing!!

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iirc something like green threads is all you need for a secure enough fixing, so those nuts are fine in my book

you need to be cunning about the valve as some are rate adjustable from a single fixed point, which might be above the point you need it limiting. A bigger bore mc would help reduce the rear pressure

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    the proportioning valve
    My Astra is running an adjustable one in my pedal box setup in-line to the rears, retaining the .700 rear m/c giving me infinite adjustment. Car feels lovely and balanced with the .625 front. I'm running 285mm front Hi-Spec 4 pots and stock rear Astra GTE 16v discs with the stock ATE two pots.

This one will do you click me. You can twist my knob anytime

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all relative with pads, disk sizes, calipers, MCs & bias etc to get it not locking rears; try not to tempt a rear bias as fun as it seems because it'll stop you dancing mid corner / on entry & just put the car in backwards! Beam looks great; you might find something like a 250LBs/inch long spring with dampers set to soft being the ideal now that it has the lateral strength.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    It's all relative with pads, disk sizes, calipers, MCs & bias etc to get it not locking rears; try not to tempt a rear bias as fun as it seems because it'll stop you dancing mid corner / on entry & just put the car in backwards! Beam looks great; you might find something like a 250LBs/inch long spring with dampers set to soft being the ideal now that it has the lateral strength.
    Softer springs are on the list for purchase, can change them in 20 mins so will take them to the next track day. I think I'm running 350's on the rear now, it's does feel a little disconnected at the rear, would like to try it with slicks before panicking!!

As for the brakes, the .75 M/C is on it's way, I'll throw this on and Iain has offered me the lend of his bias valve so I'm gonna see how the .75 works and go from there.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.75 m/c fitted this evening, just need to get the fittings for the bias valve and I can get that inline aswell

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shell dropped off at the blasters

When I was at T&R getting mapped, the boys suggested a proper bonnet vent/scoop. As I'd already had a drilling session it wasn't possible to make a recessed hidden one so I set out to find the most offensive one I could.

Mission accomplished!! It looks fucking awful.

Still I set about getting it on

Even filed the edges of the hole and gently countersunked the mounting bolt holes.

Intentionally offset to be directly over the bodies.

Yes yes it silver, yes yes it looks awful, Iain has already told me. However function dictates form, if it works it works.

Can't test it though my air temp sensor has eaten itself, either that or the engine loom has another break in it. Will be making my own one for the new shell.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the scoopage, colour works perfectly like like like.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a bit subtle