Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool House's ITB XE build and re-build

Hi guys,

I'm new here but for those that are interested this is my latest project.

Some background info first.

All fast cars I've ever owned, Fiat Coupe 20vt, Leon Cupra R, Pug 205 Mi16 have all been called Emma but there was only ever one real Emma

She was originally a 1.4SR, my best mate put a C20XE in her before I bought her from him.

She was already called Emma at this point, something to do with an ex girlfriend and a wild night but I digress!!

I fitted some Hi Spec 4 pots with 310mm discs to go with the LEDA coilovers. I wanted more power so went with direct to head throttle bodies and some expensive bits from QED, including a brand new block and crank from Swindon Racing Engines.

We managed to get 201.32 bhp at the wheels on the hottest day of the year in 2004.

Sadly life got in the way and she was broken up and sold for parts. I was a broken man!!

Some pictures of her in her prime!!

So, now life has worked out better, I've decided I need a new "real" Emma and here she is.

I didn't want a red one but went all the way to Leeds to look at a blue one and it was a dog with a capital D O G!!

Guy owned this for 7 years and has done a fair few bits and was really sad to see her go!

So here we go then, what have I got myself in for!!

I told my wife I was having a mid life crisis and it was either a project car or an affair, when I came home with this she said, and I quote, "I'd have preferred the affair option"

I've got a few updates already and a few things I've done. I'll get those put up tomorrow.
    Last edited by House; 26-08-14 at 10:43 PM.

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting!
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh I would of chosen affair over novas , good luck on your search for your new emma

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd1986 View Post
    Tbh I would of chosen affair over novas , good luck on your search for your new emma
    I'll be honest, I've already thought about getting my money back and going with the affair option!!

SR decals ordered, new dash coming, new passenger front wing, manual window winders, new blower fan, some 15 inch steel wheels.

Got a lot to do over Christmas!!

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks a good base to start i like it!plans over christmas sound fun!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    I'll be honest, I've already thought about getting my money back and going with the affair option!!

SR decals ordered, new dash coming, new passenger front wing, manual window winders, new blower fan, some 15 inch steel wheels.

Got a lot to do over Christmas!!
    Yer its more fun and your usually alot warmer at this time of year , looks like you know what your plans are unlike me I keep buying stuff and not doing anything with it but if I can help you if you ned spares then give us a shout as ive got access to most things through various freinds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She looks like A good start best of luck!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, there are a few things I've done since picking the car up and starting this thread so I'll run through them quickly

This had to go, apparently it was an exhaust system but I'm unsure!! It was awful, too loud, droning at motorway speed.

Replaced by this Powerflow effort as a temporary measure, when I finish the engine build I'll look to get Tim from The Phirm to build me a complete tuned system. It was cheap enough at £330, RSR Redhill, Surrey.

[

As I'm replacing the dash I've started getting the wiring working behind there to. Added a radiator fan overide switch and tidied up the wiring too.

I must stress this isn't the finished article, function dictates form right now, I'm just getting all the stuff working

Thought the insulating tape wrapped around this was a little questionable, found a new one on eBay, surprisingly it runs a little better now!!

Other items sorted, removed the wiring for the starter button and kill switch, it was made up of 200mm lengths of cable poorly soldered together and insulating taped, I couldn't live with that so it all had to go. I replaced the kill switch with an ignition key aswell, for some crazy reason the previous owner has removed the ignition barrel, so the only thing stopping someone driving it away was the door lock!!!

Parts arrived this week

Ignition barrel and complete set of locks, cambelt cover, new small window washer bottle to be re-located in the scuttle, new dash and shelf, blower fan.

Parts on there way to me

Hi Spec 4 pots 280mm discs with Frodo DS2500 pads, 15" steel wheels (being powder coated satin black), 4 x Uniroyal Rainsports 195/45/15, rear quarter cards, centre console trim, manual door winders, SR grey decal set, magnetic number plate to go on when she's under the cover.

Work to be done

Front half of the cage has to be cut out (I keep smashing my head on it), raise suspension 40mm at the rear and 20 at the front, find a front anti roll bar and brackets!!
    Last edited by House; 27-12-13 at 10:55 PM.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First one is lovely and sounds lie a right weapon.
    2nd one looks nice.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update,

New mk1 dash arrived

Got it stripped and cleaned in the bath at 6am Saturday morning.

Got a decent old stereo in it, anyone got a clue on wiring for it?

I've got a new ashtray too as this dash was in a smoking car even the plastic smelt of smoke! Most importantly I've got the pipes that direct the heat from the matrix up to the screen as these seem to have been lost on my current dash!

Due to the way the welded in cage has been fitted (previous owner) the dash had to hacked about to make it fit, this really annoyed me, so the front half of the cage had to go.

Due to time restrictions I didn't have time to cut the welds out properly today so I've just cut the tubes off around 100mm from the floor of the car.

This will also allow me to get the dash in and fitted which I couldn't do with the cage in, then once I get a minute I'll get the cutting and flappy paddle disc grinder out at sort the "stubs" out, and also clean the welds around the rear mount points aswell cos they're annoying me, I'm also then going to paint the inside of the car floor black.

Also got the car up on the ramp and raised the suspension, front up around 20mm and back only got around 10mm higher. The tyres were rubbing the arches and I hate that noise.

Rear is too high but the car now sits 175mm from the floor to the bottom lip on the sill at the front and 195mm to the same lip at the back, I'll adjust this more once the wheels arrive and see if I can get it as level as possible or maybe only 5-10mm higher at the rear.

Picked these up for £50.

Set for 4 Uniroyal Rainsports going on them once they get back from powder coat. Hopefully pick them up later today before Santa arrives.

Got my new front ARB fitted too, no pics I'm afraid it was too dark and cold, my fingers stopped working! Also got rid of the manifold wrapping, it was terrible and stunk whenever I stopped at traffic lights.

I've decided to get the throttle bodies ordered from QED but before that I need to sort the fuel system out, on my previous TB'd Nova I used to suffer with fuel starvation when cornering hard with less than 1/2 a tank, or even sometimes when accelerating.

So to solve that this time I've just ordered a swirl pot, 2 new fuel pumps, a load of AN fittings, PTFE hose and P clips. I'm planning on putting the swirl pot and HP pump in the spare wheel well, utilising the existing fuel pump location for the lift pump to the swirl pot.

Hoping to get the new dash in over the next few days, along with the new ignition barrel and steering column plastics, I've got a lot of presents, new front O/S wing, wrap around spoiler, manual window winders (anyone want the electric ones?), all on their way to me. I'm also helping to fit my brothers kitchen and that's inside a nice warm house so I'm not sure how much I'll get done on the car!!
    Last edited by House; 27-12-13 at 10:58 PM.