Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 04-12-15 at 07:57 AM.

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mr Tall, I'm not gonna go into all the hassle I had with the start of the engine build it's well documented on here!!!
    Ahhh, now you mention it I seem to remember those earlier posts, albeit quite a long time back, tbh I think all the XE bad news posts have started to merge into one... or should that be... ?

Still the subsequent comments about the build have been very instructive, as for me I'd be happy to see something north of 200bhp so long as it has a big fat torque curve to aid poking the thing up the road pdq.

Be interesting to hear any comments about dry sump v's standard wet sump, especially on a track day/race car where long bends are more likely to result in oil starvation? Bring it on guys...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    I only sorted the port boring for Phil, so Neil did not finish the head.
    knife edging the crank will not add any available rpm use, you will run into problems with the oil pump, oil frothing and crank flex(harmonic) problems.
    There are steel inner and outer gears available but if that rpm is to be used a dry sump kit should be used.

Steve
    Cool, thanks for clearing the port boring up Steve.

As you say and we seem to all agree my end, we're not sure there is a huge gain to be made by going up to 9k, the other problems it presents really outweigh the possible gains. I've no inclination to start fitting dry sumps for the sake of 5 bhp.

Not sure if you've seen my other thread about valve clearances?!? Wondered what your input on it would be?

Mr Tall, I'm just happy it's all getting sorted and built!!! Anywhere around 230 and reliable will make me very happy!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Ahhh, now you mention it I seem to remember those earlier posts, albeit quite a long time back, tbh I think all the XE bad news posts have started to merge into one... or should that be... ?

Still the subsequent comments about the build have been very instructive, as for me I'd be happy to see something north of 200bhp so long as it has a big fat torque curve to aid poking the thing up the road pdq.

Be interesting to hear any comments about dry sump v's standard wet sump, especially on a track day/race car where long bends are more likely to result in oil starvation? Bring it on guys...

The dry sump really depends on what tyres you are going to use ,I managed to kill a 1400 8v at Lydden hill using slicks ,it was a baffled sump but Chessons is a long bend .so if you intend to use decent tyres On Tarmac i would suggest going he dry sump route ,failing that an Accusump

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using R888's semi slicks, I've not had a baffled sump and so far not experienced any oil pressure problems. that being said the only track with any hard long right handers, other than the right in Craners at Donny, which when turning in at 110 I wasn't looking at the gauge, Mike didn't flag anything up and as co-pilot it was his job to monitor while I was holding on to the steering wheel for dear life!!

My sump for the new engine is on it's way to Mr Dewis (from Mig) to be baffled, Iain has this done to his and hasn't had any oil pressure problems, he uses slicks too!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve; gonna have to disagree that taking mass off a crank wouldn't facilitate a more reliable faster spinning engine. Dry sump isn't just for improved oil circulation, it allows the components to operate in a vacuum.

Steve do you still have access to steel inner / outers?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On another note, don't think I said above but now you mention it Mr Ghost, I have the inner steel gear for sure but will need to check the outer!! Thanks for the reminder

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darren sent these over today, think he's getting carried away and starting to enjoy himself!!

I had asked for pink but he said there were fresh out!!!
    Last edited by House; 02-12-15 at 11:42 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bores look perfect; 86.50mm?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    Bores look perfect; 86.50mm?
    Yes sir, it does look fantastic!! Can't wait to start to see it all coming together!! Maybe by the time I'm back from India we'll have an engine!!