Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Fuel level sensor calibration today

Tested with water but will call it fuel cos I’ll confuse myself otherwise, set the tank as level as possible as it would be in the car, got it to hold 38.5 litres of fuel.

Set the dash to display in litres remaining as this to me is more useful than a percentage, also as litres it also means that if the tank holds 41 litres when fuel it should display 41 and not 112% for example.

Here displaying 15 litres

It’s also pretty accurate, during the drain down test it registered each 5 litre increment pretty well so I’m confident it’ll work.

Set the 0 on the dash with around 3-4 litres of fuel still available in the tank, with the alarm at 5 litres, I’ll have to be pretty dumb to run out!!

Here is a video of the last 6-7 litres of fuel coming out of the feed to pump fitting, this was done with no return feed and back to the pot and just gravity drawing the fuel out, very happy with both the flow rate and the level at which it runs dry

https://youtu.be/6AcGOAA3QIU

Also spoke to Quaife and have ordered a gearbox oil cooler system to fit to the new box, not from Quaife, it’ll be one we make up ourselves, drawing oil from the drain plug and returning it to the redundant reverse sensor hole

Should be relatively easy to manage, nice little pump that will draw from up to 1.5m below the pump head, mocal oil to air cooler and a 200 micron in line filter.

Luckily the Quaife gear indicator also displays oil temp and can be set to alarm at a certain temp, say 95 degrees and I’ll just manually turn on the gear oil cooling at that point. The pump manufacture doesn’t recommend pumping oil below 60 degrees.
    Last edited by House; 04-10-18 at 10:16 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work House

Great idea on the gearbox cooler! Maybe take the feed from a bit higher than drain plug though. I find mine crud’s up with material from the clutch plates and unidentified metals.
    Last edited by 8valve-craig; 05-10-18 at 07:23 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not have a thermostatic switch to trigger at 95 degrees to save havingnti remember to switch it on or off?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stt View Post
    Why not have a thermostatic switch to trigger at 95 degrees to save havingnti remember to switch it on or off?
    We've just discussed this very thing, the quaife sequential shifter will flash quite a serious warning at 100 degrees and will continue to flash until the temp drops.

I discussed with Craig that I may be able to piggy back off the temp sensor already in the box and use that to turn the pump on and off. That would require me to make some kind of monitoring device that would receive the input voltage and when it gets to a certain millivolt figure to turn the fan on.

Ofcourse if I had a better ECU I could wire it to the ECU and output to a relay for the pump.

I'm thinking about what I can do on this.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few little pics today from Ben

Wheel well is no more, it was bent and battered anyway so had to come out.

Brake balance adjuster added to the back of the shift tower

Also some bracing under the shift tower to stiffen things up a little

In an idea shamelessly stolen from Craig, fuel pump pre filter, pump and post filter will be mounted in a box under the flat floor, with direct AN fittings in the side with the tank supply and feed to the fuel rail.

Last edited by House; 08-10-18 at 08:09 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few little updates from Ben this week

Cross member off

Drop plates made

Welded in place

Nice chassis leg mod for the dry sump pump

After a few words with Craig and hearing some issues he had with standard crank sensors, I spoke to SBD who relieved me of a few quid for this bottom pulley and crank sensor. Big thanks to Harvey for sorting the links out for me to just click and buy the alternator pulley from Brise.

Also popped to see Nick (Totalnova) in the week and picked up a set of wheels, which I'll be using as wet tyre wheels

Last edited by House; 02-12-18 at 06:12 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My phone just went mad, Ben was keeping these a secret

Brackets just tacked on at the moment, to be fully welded

Rad and gear oil cooler positions decided upon, gives room for a larger radiator if we run into water cooling problems.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was a pleasure to meet you, was shame we couldn't chat for longer. I'm just glad to the wheels have gone to a good home and I'm sure they will get a good thrashing.
    Nick

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    Was a pleasure to meet you, was shame we couldn't chat for longer. I'm just glad to the wheels have gone to a good home and I'm sure they will get a good thrashing.
    Nick
    Yes mate, was good to meet you too, we’ll both be at some events this year, we can chat it up there!!

Wheels will get abused!! Promise!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That crossmember is awesome, so much better than the bolt on tie bar bracket setup.