Thread: Is soldering a lost art?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is soldering a lost art?

As time goes by I see more and more vehicles coming through the workshop that the owners have "worked on" and the amount of shoddy wiring ia astunding, scotch locks crimp connectors and even twisted wires, does no one solder any more? Even one of the guys here refuses to pick up a soldering iron. Just wondered other have seen this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Stuart is an advocate of crimping over soldering, it can add resistance and if done really badly could get hot. Can be quite tricky if you're working in an awkward space too.

I'm good at soldering and I do enjoy it, but I tend to crimp most stuff on my cars as I'm just lazy

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy soldering too, I'd rather spend a bit mor time and care getting a good joint and making it look tidy and save any issues in the future from bad connections. I HATE untidy wiring.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got an iron, I still use it

Senior User Club Member Novasport's Avatar
    Derby, Derbyshire. Drives: Nova Sport, BMW M3, Nova Swing, Peugeot 208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lads at work mostly use the heat shrink tubes lined with glue and a solder ring in the middle. They are very good and easy to use.
    I hate Scotchlocs and the insulated crimp terminals. I always use the OE spec uninsulated crimp terminals with the correct insulators.
    If I need to join a wire I use the tubes or solder it and heat shrink the join although I prefer to replace the wire completely if I can.
    Poor wiring can so easily set fire to your pride and joy!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ratchet crimps are industry standard (depending on industry i guess) providing they are double crimps and not those 'pliers' you get with a halfords kit which are worse than useless. like everything, used/prepared/fitted correctly in the right environment there will be no better solution. i would use solder in place of a 'straight-through' crimp though.

soldering is great where used in the right places and if covered in Hellerman or heat shrink sleeve.

dodgy alarms + radio/cd installs are a favourite. some engine conversions ive seen on here have dubious wiring standards, no wonder there are so many start up issues.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will use the ratchet type crimping pliers and terminals if need be eg earth ring terminals and spade connectors, however my argument with them has always been there is noting to stop water ingress and therefore corrosion. I have seen a lot of those type of terminals rot out and cause issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always heatshrink over the coloured crimp terminals, dunno why I guess cos it looks less pikey

I do prefer soldering wires and heatshrinking inline rather than an inline crimp connector though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can solder still

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to crimp all my wires when I done my conversion but I was forced into twisting and soldering them and when I say forced he done it himself