Thread: xe starting issues

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lee 16v View Post
    The CTS is about £15 from vauxhall. They sit at the front of the engine on the left hand side where the water pipe goes into the head. Might be worth changing anyway if you plan on keeping the car.
    Thanks, I will need to get some spares for the car in time anyway and if they go often seems sensible. At the moment the spares are.......a cambelt and spark plug!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marc69 View Post
    Thanks, I will need to get some spares for the car in time anyway and if they go often seems sensible. At the moment the spares are.......a cambelt and spark plug!
    you never need a 'spare' cambelt, you have 60k miles to think about getting a replacement and if it does snap before that you will need a lot more than a belt.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meritlover View Post
    you never need a 'spare' cambelt, you have 60k miles to think about getting a replacement and if it does snap before that you will need a lot more than a belt.
    At that point I would just consider a new car although, if it was the SR or early 1.2, apprently you can get away with it? My dad had a belt go on an Astra (as a trained mechanic he never maintains anything), he got it towed home, shoved another belt on and thought nothing of it, I would have panicked incase I'd damaged it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ye. they're non-interference engines. XE is a different beast. not worth the risk on in anycase as there still isnt a lot of clearance.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I killed a 1.4 sr when the belt came off, I was in 4th and dropped it down to 3rd then 2nd the 1st trying to get it to just start not knowning why the lights all came up on the dash . Put the belt back on the next day and man that span fast when I went to start it hahahaha

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I killed a 1.4 sr when the belt came off, I was in 4th and dropped it down to 3rd then 2nd the 1st trying to get it to just start not knowning why the lights all came up on the dash . Put the belt back on the next day and man that span fast when I went to start it hahahaha
    OOPS, although I think (could be wrong....) the 1400 was diffferent, it was supposed to be in preparation for injection engines? As far as I am aware even the 1.2i will be knackered if the belt goes.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

could be. increased comp would probably mean closer valve to piston clearance.

like i say, there is rarely an excuse for it happening in the first place. easier and more convenient to change it in good time.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told it was "valve safe" when I done it, maybe banging down the gears is what done it. That will teach me to put a bottom pulley with a worn key back on it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That will teach me to put a bottom pulley with a worn key back on it.
    erm....yup

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EML fitted thanks to advice from kev and the switch to get the codes so, some progress.....