Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova 2.0 8v on throttle bodies re-build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nova 2.0 8v on throttle bodies re-build

Well I didn't think I would get another nova but here I am with another one that I was hoping just needed a clutch and I could then have some fun with. However that's was not the case as on the way home I gave it some beans and no clutch slip ??? Once I got 5 minuets away from my workshop I gave it a blast from set of lights, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and no clutch slip, I was thinking this is to good to be true. Got back to the workshop done a few checks over it and all seamed ok. I could see it was berating heavy so I checked oil and water and was all ok. I then went out for a drive to find some mates and show them my new toy. I then noticed is started smoking but didn't think anything of it. Gave my mate a race in his Astra Vxr and was even up to end of 3rd and he then started pulling away. We then pulled over had a chat and now the nova was smoking really bad, loads of white smoke! I new this was going to be head gasket. Drove it back to my workshop put it away and went home.

I've now had it for 3 weeks and I've striped hole front end off the car to find front panel not welded to the car and cracked, rust hidden behind lots of expanding foam. So I'm now re-building the front end of the car. I'm fixing all the rust strenthing and stich welding the whole front end, cutting out front panel (well what's left of it) and welding in 50x50 box section, fitting new wings, bonnet, grill, front bumper, changing wheels, loads of paint work and then freshen then engine up with new gaskets and some paint before it goes back in.

Pics to follow shortly.....

Club Member Club Member womble sri's Avatar
    Hertfordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was due to go and look at this the same evening! Sounds like I got off lightly? That front end wants rebuilding anyway mate, bad boy bonnet and ford arches, they would be at the top of my list of priorities probably even before the clutch! Good luck with build still think it was a decent buy just for all the bits on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i think it was still worth the money just anoying that ive got to spend hours rebuilding it. i wanted to get it and use it. im already thinking going down the turbo rote now the engine is out .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didnt get any pics of it before i started work on it as i broke it within 3 hours of owning it.

this is what i have so far,

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks nice mate, shame whoever built it let stevie wonder do the wiring!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some lovely oil

riped the arches off, well they didnt take alot to come off,

engine out,

nice bits,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can see where they put new outer sill on but then done the front with expanding fome ???? like this both sides. its stupid as who ever done the body work done a nice job. its like they run out of money and then put the wings on and filled the rest up before the paint job. who ever welded the front panel on need to stay away from a welder as none of it was welded to the car and it was all bird s**t welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new front crossmember,

more to come soon.

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing annoys me more than blatant bodgery! Especially when selling cars. At least you got it reasonably cheap. I always work to the theory that as long as its worth what you pay for in bits, you can't go too far wrong!

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Swindoncestershire Building: A Breeze Blue XE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy cow!! Bodergy at its worst!!

My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....