Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any truck drivers on here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Royston says you can do what you like if its private use. But an hour break after 4 hours driving is sensible.

Also its pretty easy to overload a 7.5t so be careful what they load you up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers guys,
    Been told its about 1200kg of chipboard and around 500kg of pallet racking.
    Last question how much fuel do they use as i will be doing around 650 miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 mpg Ish I would've thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    12 mpg Ish I would've thought.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazil View Post
    Hobbit, size means nothing, it still has a full size bunk and a night heater , THE 2 most important things IMO
    Agreed

I'd be lost without my sleeper cab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awe mine will be fine when it grows up

success is only limited by a weak mind

Senior User
    Somewhere under the bonnet. Drives: Mark 4 Astra GSi turbo. Builds: Nothing yet.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Royston View Post
    If it's private no, but be sensible!
    I thought you still had to abide by the 4.5 hour rule, even if it is private??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what age 7.5 tonner is it? later ones are limited to 56mph, but older ones are not, so can legally do 70.
    ok, what sort of tacho has it got? .
    if driving with a tacho chart, you must fill in your full name, initials & surname won't do.
    you should stick to the 4.5 hrs of driving, (set it on the steering wheel logo)
    then 45mins break(little bed logo) then another 4.5hrs driving. then another 45mins break. then you can do another hour. then its 9hrs minimum rest...

the main thing is to get your seating position sorted out before you start. then get all your mirrors set.

motorway is the most dangerous, as you are approaching slow wagons, trying to pass them & also avoid cars.. indicate earlier, and pull out sooner... the most important thing with the big wagons is they will flash you in when you are safely past.. to thank them, you indicate left, pull in, & then indicate right for 2 flashes, then left for 2 flashes... or they will think you are amateur scum

driving down country roads is a doddle. the gears are usually stiff for the 1st couple of miles, then get easy. change gear slowly, it ain't a car. as for braking, they are really sharp.. its probably the biggest culture shock for a car driver. so brake earlier, and start off gently, and push more as you need it. standing on them will cause your mate to hit the screen. driving them like a car will drink the juice, you are limited to 50mph on single carriageway roads (60 on dual carriageway a roads), use momentum, look 400yds down the road all the time, it will come to you. also, you need to turn really late at junctions cos you are in front of the wheels.

now, running at 60mph empty, you should be doing more than 20mpg.

i get 243 miles each way from richmond to newbury. obviously you need to go down the m1. exit at j15a & follow the A43 past silverstone, then follow the m40/a34 to newbury. if the wagon does 70mph then it should be do-able in 10 hrs driving, which you can do in 15hrs from start to finish according to tacho laws

oh, and buy some yorkie bars & wear a check shirt
    Last edited by mowgli; 27-04-13 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    what age 7.5 tonner is it? later ones are limited to 56mph, but older ones are not, so can legally do 70.
    ok, what sort of tacho has it got? .
    if driving with a tacho chart, you must fill in your full name, initials & surname won't do.
    you should stick to the 4.5 hrs of driving, (set it on the steering wheel logo)
    then 45mins break(little bed logo) then another 4.5hrs driving. then another 45mins break. then you can do another hour. then its 9hrs minimum rest...

the main thing is to get your seating position sorted out before you start. then get all your mirrors set.

motorway is the most dangerous, as you are approaching slow wagons, trying to pass them & also avoid cars.. indicate earlier, and pull out sooner... the most important thing with the big wagons is they will flash you in when you are safely past.. to thank them, you indicate left, pull in, & then indicate right for 2 flashes, then left for 2 flashes... or they will think you are amateur scum

driving down country roads is a doddle. the gears are usually stiff for the 1st couple of miles, then get easy. change gear slowly, it ain't a car. as for braking, they are really sharp.. its probably the biggest culture shock for a car driver. so brake earlier, and start off gently, and push more as you need it. standing on them will cause your mate to hit the screen. driving them like a car will drink the juice, you are limited to 50mph on single carriageway roads (60 on dual carriageway a roads), use momentum, look 400yds down the road all the time, it will come to you. also, you need to turn really late at junctions cos you are in front of the wheels.

now, running at 60mph empty, you should be doing more than 20mpg.

i get 243 miles each way from richmond to newbury. obviously you need to go down the m1. exit at j15a & follow the A43 past silverstone, then follow the m40/a34 to newbury. if the wagon does 70mph then it should be do-able in 10 hrs driving, which you can do in 15hrs from start to finish according to tacho laws

oh, and buy some yorkie bars & wear a check shirt
    thanks very much for the information,it beats driving the forklift truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you are aware that its now changed? Before taking to the wheel anybody using old timers rights must complete the cpc as do all freshly passed drivers before they are allowed to take to the wheel and anybody who passed before Christmas time 2010 (cant remember exact date) also has to complete so many hours cpc training over every 5 year period.
    I need to do mine before feb next year as after that I have had mine 5 years and will no longer be legal to drive.
    To be honest though if you don't drive for a living and on the very rare chance you get a tug you may get away with pleading ignorant and at worst you will end up having the truck proabitioned until someone with a suitable licence can collect it

just something worth thinking about and to be fair it hasn't effevted me as such yet so im not to sure of all the ins and outs of it but I have a friend and my brother in law that have recently passed there class 1 hgv and both have had to complete there cps trainging before taking to the wheel and will have to again every 5 years not 100% though if that applys to private vehicals