Thread: turbo recon

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default turbo recon

so who have you guys used for turbo work? my standard turbo is off the car and im looking at sending it away for a refurb, and who knows, if the price is right maybe a little hybrid upgrade work. I realise you get what you pay for in this world, but I really don't want to pay a fortune.

cheers

Senior User
    Sunny Sunderland by the sea. Well, inbetween there and Durham.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the lads on here works for a turbo reconditioners, is it Count Vauxalot? Worth a PM, bro.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers buddy.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think essex turbos use a wheel balancer to balance the shafts on their turbos. I slso think the make the seals from margerine. Avoid.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a standard turbo, it's a simple assembly job. You can do it very easily yourself. What you cant do at home of course is the dynamic balancing (which REALLY matters, no matter what people say about marking the nut and shaft before and after). There is very little skill involved so as long as they balance them there is no special need to pay over the odds (they will come with a warranty anyway). Most of them will be an off-the-shelf exchange service anyway so near enough next day service. Some places will be happy just the send you out the CHRA if your compressor and turbine housing and wastegate are in good nick and no cracks/scuffs. but chances are your turbine side will shear bolts (depending on how its put together) if its a clamp or circlip its an easy change.

Hybrid turbos are what requires an element of science and skill. Mapping flow and pressure to find a map that suits your application and then machining the housing and parts to make it is what is what is worth paying extra for.
    if you are getting a 'hybrid' ask them to explain exactly what your getting. It really does matter where your RPM sits and what cams you run...which has a knock on effect on your gearbox selection.
    if they simply hand you a 'hybrid' and quote a HP figure ask them to explain, if they cant, walk away. its likely just a mish mash of housings from the same family turbos that 'just look bigger' and happen to go together easily with little or no machining.

one of the 2 biggest killers i have had with turbos is air leaks (overspeeds) and bad oil feed (bearings/seals). If its an age related failure then fine, if its not, find out exactly why it failed before you stick on a new one.

thats my 2 cents for now.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I think essex turbos use a wheel balancer to balance the shafts on their turbos. I slso think the make the seals from margerine. Avoid.
    that's interesting. Normally balance and seal issues are related. ie, the shaft wrecks the bearings and then rattles the seals. would be worth asking around what tolerance they balance to.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

merit, I've tried repping you for the brilliant help but it appears I've already given you too much cheers for the help though buddy.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use CR Turbos, havent had any problems with their recon units or hybrids turbos, just recieved a hybrid turbo for a new common rail leon, upgraded billet wheel,
    not bad prices either

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

count vaux alot or NOTHING!!! cannot recommend him enough, he knows his stuff, and both the turbos i have had rebuilt are to the highest standard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    , i reckon they use a buckled wheel to balance them up
    Last edited by Alex J; 18-04-13 at 06:46 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll get in touch with him soon then :-D