Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1.6 8v or 1.6 16v

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.6 8v or 1.6 16v

just wonderin wot u people think wud be best for engine conversion, just weighin up all the options for now,ta Dan

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both the same to fit. little more to the wiring of the 16v
    16v is around 4 times the price of an 8v.
    16v has a head that likes tuning!
    Power can also be extracted from the 8v.
    8v quicker off the line
    16v more pull up higher

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends what your planning to do

if its cheap power with no plans to mod the 8v is prolly a better option sice they regularly sell for ?100

if your happy to spend ?400 (ie 16v money) but dont wanna go mad then u are prolly better off buying the 8v and using the rest to tune it a little, say head work or maybe carbs and proper exhaust - prolly work out a bit faster than the 16v too

otherwise buy the 16v and tune away

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said if you want a quick fix go for the 8v and tune this will work out about the cost of a basic 16v if you want to go full out and spend some money and want serious gains, go for the 16v. Main options are...

Mantzel powerbox- ?500ish and about 25bhp

Throttle bodies- ?1500ish and about 50+bhp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default power

ive got a 1.4 16v basically the same as 1.6 16v, and i got 21bhp from just an air filter, manifold, decat powerflow exhaust and boost valve, where as a mate with a 1.6 8v with the same bits got 15bhp and that was with a magnex exhaust which is better tuned for the car than a powerflow. if you got the money go for 16v!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: power

Quote Originally Posted by padge
    ive got a 1.4 16v basically the same as 1.6 16v, and i got 21bhp from just an air filter, manifold, decat powerflow exhaust and boost valve
    1.4 16v the same as 1.6 16v hmmm not at all, its the same as saying that XE is basically the same as LET.

I would be VERY sceptical about the gains you got from your mods, it dosent add up at all, i would be taking it to a decent rolling road and asking for a true figure, did you take it to a roling road shoot out for a magazine? as they are known to give rich readings to boost publicity.

I know the 1400's are good for tuning and react well to mods but from the list youve put i would be expecting about 10BHP or similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- this is 1 of the perrenial favourite questions.

16V tuning = ?5000 for 200+hp
    8v tuning = ?2000 for upto 150hp
    I am the rep monster - give me all your rep and I will become all powerful and take over the WORLD!!!

Small Block Club Member #3

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what choice did you take Cp :?:

:: :: ::

Both

User
    Leamington Building V Quick & Low 17'd 8v GSiiiiiii And Driver of B@rge
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.4 16v the same as 1.6 16v hmmm not at all, its the same as saying that XE is basically the same as LET.

I would be VERY sceptical about the gains you got from your mods, it dosent add up at all, i would be taking it to a decent rolling road and asking for a true figure, did you take it to a roling road shoot out for a magazine? as they are known to give rich readings to boost publicity.
    He did get 111bhp, its not a dodgey rolling road as I have spent about 11hours on it having my Turbo set up! and I know the owner very well. It gets calibrated quite often.

What Padge failed to mention is the Induction kit is a Viper and the Exhaust system is straight through (No centre section) hence the higher power, but the Torque was only 105 lb's ft if I remember.

It made 107bhp before the Boost valve was played with.

Also what he mean't with the 1.4 16v is the same as the 1.6 16v comment is that the engines are very similar in layout.

Just had to clear that lot up :o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nova neil speaks the truth and if you dont believe the power figures ill be at trax with the print out, it was running 105bhp before the man at stealth racing fiddled the boost valve, ill give you the telephone number if you want. Also 1.4 and 1.6 16v are similiar design of engines thats why the powerboxs on the later 1.6 and 1.4 are the same i believe, but they dont have similiar power