Thread: Rally Car Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rally Car Build

Hi, Only just really started coming on here as a couple of weeks ago late Sunday evening after much searching for a good rolling shell, we found one down near Durham, which looked brilliant besides one or two minor slightly rusty patches

Trailered it home and here it was on the driveway

The next thing we did was, stripped the hole car and took out the wiring loom

After that we started to design and adapt some spare widetrack kit from a corsa that we have,so that its 50mm wider in each corner

Then we fitted the widest wheels to see how they sit

next we bought a mk3 cavalier rear disc axle to combine and fabricate it with a nova axle to put discs on the back,now all we need for the rear disc brake conversion to be complete is mk3 astra axle stubs.Then we can see how well the calipers and pads are working that we have to see if we need to buy some new ones.
    I also just bought another nova for dirt cheap with a rotten shell but it came with lots of spare panels,doors and wing mirrors and so on. I am going to use the aftermarket smoothed bumpers that I got on that and cut and space them out 100mm wider then use them as moulds for fibreglass items as I am going to make a wide arch body kit, I will then just be keeping whatever parts I think I may potentially damage and sell or scrap the rest. Just last night I bought a fibreglass tailgate from a member in dumbarton, needs a bit of work to clean it up but it should be great.

Plan next is to try and source axle stubs, fit a chasis plating kit, build a cage, make adjustable seat mounts and then about another million things before the car even moves haha

Like our Page on Facebook for links to other projects and for cool updates :D
    http://www.facebook.com/MastertonMotorsport?ref=hl
    Last edited by scottmasterton; 14-01-16 at 09:19 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any tips or advice or comments would be greatly appreciated

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to Source axle stubs ,just finished moulds for wide rear arches will sell copies if anyone is interested once ive finished the final product
    Here is photos of the shape I took the moulds from

Here are the moulds

Also have taken the rear windows out to be replaced with a polycarbonate window kit and to make it even easier to work on, just need to finish the front wing moulds and then the actual fibreglass panels, then work on the bumpers to finish the wide arch body kit that if it turns out good enough I should be selling for nice and cheap
    Last edited by scottmasterton; 04-04-13 at 12:35 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks a real clean shell dude

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conad View Post
    looks a real clean shell dude
    The one that is being scrapped was absolutely riddled but the blue one is in better condition than lots of cars half its age

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been pretty busy at work recently but still managed to get a decent amount done
    Cut,bent and shaped all the tubing, temporarily put full cage together to see if any slight adjustments needed to be made

Tacced up the main hoop

Tacced up the rear turrets

And also started the dash build out of wood to get the basic shape before we make the mould

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like its gona be quite a serious build are you planning on tagging that cross bar on the cage to the exhaust tunnel?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes it is, long way to go yet, going to use quite a few tags and gussets throughout the build of the cage and that isn't something we had previously thought of, but now we are good idea thanks

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its just most cages I have seen rather than having one straight bar across have either a bent bar or two half bars forming a shallow V which is welded to the gearbox tunnel if that makes sense?!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main reason we made it a straight tube was so we could fully weld it out of the car and so that the main hoop section would keep its shape in and out of the car, If we had used a tube with a bend it would have been impossible to fit back in the car after welding it