Thread: steering lock stops on rack???

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default steering lock stops on rack???

Can folk add pics, comments good and bad don't matter. I want to reduce the full lock left and right on the nova. I seem to remember well I think some sort of washer added inside the rack? Or has anyone got photos of stops on the knuckles?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are saying you have more travel in one direction than another then it sounds like the steering aligntment has been done without the rack being centered.

turn full lock one way,
    then count the turns to the opposite lock,
    turn back by half the number of turns,
    if your wheels are not pointing straight then this is the problem.

this often happens if the local retard at quickfit clamps the steering wheel straight even if the wheel has been stuck on any old way after the replacement of the rack.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No the tracking is 99.9% well as good as can get on a rubber mounted rack. Its 30min toe in over all. Its the scrubbing on the inside edge on full lock and on full travel of the suspension (its used for rallying) that I want to prevent.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember seeing this over on mig. Might be of some use. I've never used them personally though.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/proje...ml#post4582773

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you basically wanting a cheap way of getting a quick rack? The washers will limit turn but reduce he turning circle from what I can see

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can still be tracked 100% but have un equal travel left to right....

anyway, you should be able to shim the inside of the track arm. for eg, if the NS scrubs on the front inside edge then you will have to shim the OS balljoint on the rack.

changing this will not change the ratio of the rack, but may really limit your turning circle

have you considered wheel spacers? this would allow you to keep the same turning circle but reduce the rubbing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the lad wants to limit travel of the rack, not change the ratio... which, if you wanted to do on the cheap, you simply find a corsa b epas rack & swap the corsa arms for nova ones..

i've heard of heavy duty pipe clamps (think big strong jubilee clips) being used, but the migweb washer looks pretty good. if it doesn't limit them enough, then a good bloke on a lathe would easily turn some cup shaped ones for some beer money
    Last edited by mowgli; 26-02-13 at 12:06 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The steering wheel has 50% left and 50% right I want to reduce this, so in answer yes its equal. I don't want to use spacers because the track of the car is spot on. I want to in effect reduce the turning circle. yes full lock reduced verses tyres not wearing. On a stage i would sooner loose 0.5 sec because the steering lock been reduced then have a tyre blow out. I understand what you mean merit lover but both sides have rubbed on the chassis leg. Nova cabrio its all ready got a aquickrack

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTW View Post
    I remember seeing this over on mig. Might be of some use. I've never used them personally though.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/proje...ml#post4582773

I didn't see your post earlier, but youve come up trumps that's where I seen it. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only way to limit steering lock on the rack is to fit some form of limiting sleeve to either end of the rack. a heavy duty pipe clamp would probably do the job without removal of the track rods, but you would need to take the rubber boots off, which is hardly a tough job. you would need to visit a hydraulic shop to get some clamps. measure your rack/end diameter & see what they can do for you