Thread: Corsa c problems

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meritlover View Post
    No. everything retards by a few degrees so valves are lucky. but its close. problem starts as poor performance which degrades over time until symptoms similar to the above occur.

if the timing was advanced by the same amount it would likely be a different story however.
    Still not convinced. What causes the slippage to stop further damage? Like I said, once the woodruff has bid farewell, I would assume its game over?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will F View Post
    Still not convinced. What causes the slippage to stop further damage? Like I said, once the woodruff has bid farewell, I would assume its game over?
    im not going to sit and convince you that it happens. As ive seen it. Twice. the woodruff key doesnt fail, the sintered pulley does. it chews the keyway a few degrees and then binds up. there is no doubt it would give way eventually as its likely moved because the bolt wasnt sufficiantly tightened. but as the engine will very much be under performing, it doesnt get the chance to.
    they purposly use a sintered pulley as a sacraficial element to protect the crank and the machined key. but they are soft as week old bananas.
    mostly happens on the 1600s where there is AC and PAS pumps being driven from it as well.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meritlover you do not get a 1600 corsa C. Other than the s1600 big block.

I have had this happen on a corsa B 1600 and you are correct. The edge of the key on the pully cracks off and forces it around the keyway a bit. It then Jams there with the timing out a couple of degrees. I have pics of mine when it happened.

Im sure the later corsa C engines IE the twinport 1.4 ect are different cranks.

my guess would be the crank sensor. If its taking longer to start its could be because it has to use the cam sensor to find top dead centre. if its only reving to 5K it either cant find a true TDC or its in safe mode.
    Last edited by therealnovaboy; 25-12-12 at 06:33 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes. Not only are the cranks different but the engines arent even the same.

I guess more people should have twigged when I was talking about belts and not chains.

Check the cam and crank sensors then. Same principles. If the sync signal is lost it will give similar issues. So will AFM. It won't be too complicated. There's not much on those engines. Better to get a shot of an OBDII tool to save wasted time and effort.

Happy Birthday Jesus.

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mate got his car back from the garage today, it was the crank shaft sensor. Good shout guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)