Thread: caar value advice

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default caar value advice

at the weekend while driving along in my car (corsa gsi) another car overshot a t-junction and hit the side of me. now i've gone though insurance and the other party has admitted all liability so thats ok.

problem I'm having now is that the insurance company only want to give me 250 to fix the car or they'll write it off and give me 650. car needs a full rear quarter to begin with plus alloy wheel damage, side skirt, l peice, arch etc so its going to cost way more than the 250 to fix so the cars as good as written off

what I was wondering is if I would be able to argue the price the car is worth at all? the car was in very good condition and I won't be able to get a similar car for 650 (example in for sale section just now priced at 1600). Am i stuck in having to take to the 650 or could i fight for more off them? I'm sure when they asked how much the car was worth when insuring it I said about 1500 but cant remember an exact figure.

both me and the third party have the same insurer if that makes any difference.

any advice welcome, cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The value you supplied when taking out the policy was probably a purchase price or somesuch thing, either way that rarely has any input on the claim payout amount.

Best bet is to look on places like ebay at completed sales, autotrader, pistonheads (again, preferably at the adverts that have sold if they still show a price) to get an idea of what cars similar to yours have sold for. Condition is difficult to prove so go for things like mileage, history, any options etc.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i didnt think that it would make much difference. so do you think if I can show them examples of the car selling for more I would be able to barter for a better price off them? cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, its definitely worth a shot.

Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare cars those GSI's.. worth more than your average Corsa for sure so stick with it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes you can, i did it with an old car, they said they wouldn't accept EBay auctions i refused thier offer 3 times before i was happy, if they refuse ask for them to demonstrate how you will get a car in similar condition for that price, they will send you information etc on it, then point out the differences

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'value' you state on the policy holds little bearing on anything unless its an agreed one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

grooge, i take it you went thru their insurance & not your own??

i always thought if it was the other persons fault, then they have to pay to put it back to its pre crash condition.. or am i really behind the times??

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    grooge, i take it you went thru their insurance & not your own??

i always thought if it was the other persons fault, then they have to pay to put it back to its pre crash condition.. or am i really behind the times??
    Very much behind the times. I got about 25% less for my car than it was "worth", the mild flip side was buy back at a stupidly low figure.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Very much behind the times. I got about 25% less for my car than it was "worth", the mild flip side was buy back at a stupidly low figure.
    mowgli, i phoned my insurance company to inform them of the crash, later on i was phoned back by the compoany saying we were both insured through them and he had admitted liabilty and it would be coming off his policy and my no claims would be unaffected.

stuart, thats the only good thing really, i can buy the car back ridiculously cheaply from them, which I will be doing.

i've still not actually spoken to them again yet since this post as i've not had time to phone them due to work but i'll make time for it tomorrow and see if I can get more money out of them. just spent a lot on the car the last few weeks aswell, drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, handbrake cable, speedo cable and even did discs and pads the day before!