Thread: black nova 1.3sr, the story.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default black nova 1.3sr, the story.

This car was purchased new by my sister in 1987, she bought it before going over to
    Germany to work before returning to the UK in the early 1990s bringing it back with her.
    She kept it until 2010, when she mentioned that it was possibly time to get rid for some
    reason I told her I would take it away, which she was pleased about.
    Being the wrong side of fifty and not having messed around with cars for many years I
    didn't really realise what I was getting into....but have since realised once these cars
    get inside your head there's no going back!!![IMG]
    back she came, so shiny inside and out, but also showing up how much repair work was required.
    Here she is sitting in the bodyshop after picking her up from the blast workshop.

So after taking this project on where the hell do you start!! The car was showing all
    the usual signs, wings gone, rear qtr arches starting to go, front end, rear end etc etc
    I decided on a light restoration and got it through a test without to many problems.
    I ran it for about 10 months and then last September after going to various shows, decided to get things done properly!!
    The strip down started again,

I completely stripped her down and loaded her up on the trailer to take for blasting at gentle blast in north wales

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=masseyk@deeside.ac.uk;2065846]This car was purchased new by my sister in 1987, she bought it before going over to
    Germany to work before returning to the UK in the early 1990s bringing it back with her.
    She kept it until 2010, when she mentioned that it was possibly time to get rid for some
    reason I told her I would take it away, which she was pleased about.
    Being the wrong side of fifty and not having messed around with cars for many years I
    didn't really realise what I was getting into....but have since realised once these cars
    get inside your head there's no going back!!![I
    After a light restoration! I ran it until September 2011 and then decided to start from scratch and do things properly, you guys with experience know all
    the problem areas, of which there were many!! I removed the engine, got her up nice and high in the garage and started stripping her down in earnest.
    As she was going to be bead blasted I also had to remove the original vauxhall underseal (yes there was some still there, and boy was it stuck well)
    That done it was onto the back of the trailer and off to Gentle blast in Llandudno, two days later it was ready to be picked up, completely naked and
    shiny (the shell not me!) we reloaded her onto the trailer for dropping off at the bodyshop who were going to carry out the work,that was last Jan. Since
    then I have been collecting new parts, travelling up to the North east for new gm inner wings, outer wings, front end, rear end, doors, thanks Carl, a
    P.N.G member and top man, down to South Wales to pick up a new rear qtr panel, the majority of the rest of the stuff I purchased from Germany, cills,
    rear chassis leg, front chassis leg repair panel, any other parts I've got from Vauxhall Green, very helpful, Pro-tech motorsport, Harry Hockly, Autovaux,
    L.M.F and the great bay of e. Everything is genuine gm, except obviously the motorsport stuff.
    I do have pictures of everything, but as some of you may have already noticed I.T is not really my thing (please stop laughing, and wait until you get to my age)

At the moment the shell is on the spit in the bodyshop, all the welding and strengthening is almost completed and she should be
    going in for paint within the next fortnight.
    [IM
    [

Some of the bits I'v collected so far:

Last edited by masseyk@deeside.ac.uk; 22-08-12 at 05:16 PM.

Senior User
    Somewhere in Kent Drives: 1984' 1.3 Nova Saloon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!! Looks like a real project, the quality of it is going to be amazing!

Not your usual, lower it, stick on some bigger brakes and give it a quick blowover with some paint!!

Very impressive.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, I thought after seeing the standard at some of the shows I needed to do it properly otherwise I would be wasting my time,
    the body shop are really keeping me waiting though, although the standard of work is excellent, the lad who is doing the welding/bodywork
    was employed by demon tweeks at one time working on their rally cars so he does know what he's doing.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks a very impressive build

Senior User
    Somewhere in Kent Drives: 1984' 1.3 Nova Saloon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah right, is it being done on mates rates then? As more often, they tend to do it ib their free time and not as a priority.

It will be worth it though, no point rushing it for a half ar$ed job, take your time and make it right

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some nice parts

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some nice parts there, will be watching this with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow this looks like its going to be an epic rebuild mate, iam loving the standard of the parts the bilstein dampers, Alcon brakes, poly bushes etc and the work that is going into the shell plus all the new old stock parts and of course the twin carbs , really like the white Powdercoating of the hubs etc.

All the best with the project mate I will be keeping an eye on this thread
    + rep mate

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for those comments guys, wasn't really expecting much interest but that has made my day!!!
    Sorry about the crap thread, I'm a bit old for all this threads and posts etc l.o.l . Steve, no mates rates, the lad just works for the firm who are doing the work,
    if any one remembers Antnio's white opel manta in total vauxhall issue no121 april 2011 there the ones doing the work.
    Got loads more photos, could anyone explain the 15 picture rule to me?

Thanks again