Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: £250m motorsport venue set to bring 9,000 jobs to Ebbw Vale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul james View Post
    I've thought for ages that Wales would be an ideal place for a UK version of the Nurburgring. While this isn't to that scale, if they did trackdays it would be a cool place to go. I would imagine there will be a lot of protest from the locals about it ruining a site of wildlife interest and beauty, even if its not.
    seriously, there was an attempt to create a road course in the early 50's, it was based on the A515 between buxton & ashbourne.. it would easily have been a rival to the ring as the roads up there are awesome.. there was an article in motorsport magazine a few months back, there was going to be a proposed act of parliament to allow racing on public roads, which had huge political backing, then the '55 leMans disaster happened, and public opinion went against racing on public roads again, and thus, there will never be a british nurburgring.

in other news, the local regoinal council in germany where the ring is has been caught making huge illegal loans to the area round the track by the european parliament...

like i already said, these tracks rarely pay

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Swindoncestershire Building: A Breeze Blue XE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah mowgli...so well informed. Not.

The bsb series has a depth of talent far beyond some of the world championships. As for not having a venue, wrong again. Motogp and wsb have been to Silverstone this year already. Wsb reruns to the UK at donnington too!!

On the subject of Mallory park...wrong agin. The riders and spectators hated it. I am on one of the largest mx forums.

IMO this project can only build on what I feel is a good base for 2 wheeled racing within the UK.
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pete, i'm old enough to know that they have been throwing large amounts of govt money at various regions for a very long time and failed every single time..... do you remember the last new race track? rockingham.. a classic example of a track nobody wanted in a place where nobody is interested in going, yes its a great venue, but one btcc meeting a year, a few clubbies & some trade events will never pay back the original investment

there are so many 'international' tracks already in the uk, with links to airports,motorways, large cities with 4* hotels etc which is what the sponsors want, the infrastructure will need a huge investment, they will need to build a dedicated dual carriageway to the m4, and all sorts of other things the series organisers demand..

sorry about being wrong about mallory, as i was only going on all the local press tv & radio coverage when the event took place all the riders must have just been saying it was good to drum up ticket sales...
    but all they need for a mx event is a a decent stadium or arena & a large load of soil, and a good designer to create a spectacular track.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realize they had dug up the M4

Last time I looked thats how you got there, yep shocking way to travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**** roads to edd f

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Didn't realize they had dug up the M4

Last time I looked thats how you got there, yep shocking way to travel
    the m4 in wales is terrible. stop trying to kid me.....
    then there is the small matter of trying to get up from the motorway to ebbw vale about 20 odd uphill miles...
    and the head of the valleys road isn't much funnier

i am talking about the transport link potential, not where people in cars want to go...

sending trucks up massive hills, slowly & burning lots of fuel is hardly an incentive..

sending 50k+ cars up there for a major motorsport event would be a true nightmare...

that scheme didn't exactly show tons of hard standing & campsites...

and cardiff intl airport is a fair trek too...

just pointing out a few things that need addressing...

then there is the budget for the project.. our local town is spending £80m on a bus station redevelopment. £250m is a bit low imho.