Page 66 of 74 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's Xe track Nova (pb fixed to page 10)

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nr 3

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Mine broke a drive shaft.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drivetrain is actually quite a big thing on such vauxhalls; I'm on a SCCR with CW & pinion 4.85 FD, RJ cable shift, equal length hollowed, peened shafts, big bearings CVs ATB diff. It seems to shift better in anger because the revs drop off fast & the FD is so close (lightened crank flywheel etc.), downshifts require throttle to match right & it helps again to be quick. It does not like down changes into 1st and 5th down to 4th on the shifter tends to beat synchros. That said high rpm shifts are ok & with big heavy wheels & brakes o.e helical boxes munch themselves even at low revs I've found. TBH the internals of an F20 F16 etc aren't big enough for this kind of duty when you compare it with other modern boxes.

You hear all sorts of stories like grinding off alternate teeth on the synchro rings to ease engagement & although I've not tried I could see how this might help, but tbh might lead to less reliability.

A dog box simplifies servicing but you need to change the clutch plate & cough up the extra ££££. Someone on here's using a cable setup with dog engagement so it can be done!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having watched the PRS videos; I wouldn't say the guy's driving hard like craig racing is - his box is comparatively silent not having the spur gear CWP.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post

A dog box simplifies servicing but you need to change the clutch plate & cough up the extra ££££. Someone on here's using a cable setup with dog engagement so it can be done!
    I suspect your talking about me.. Did it on the first 2 events of the year and got stuck in 2nd gear twice on both events, despite fast positive changes.. Whilst the cable setup is strong enough, the standard cable selector mechanism we use from the F17 has a slightly different shape "ball" that moves the selector rods on the end and we think that was enough difference to allow it to slide out of the 2nd gear position with the dogs still holding the gear in 2nd and ending up with the lever in "no mans land" between 2nd and 3rd..

Have now converted to a Quaife lever and rods plus just bought the brass fingered turret too...

Paul..

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This box / linkage has done well enough this year. Its having a proper 5sp and associated parts over the winter.

I always respect Paul's opinion as he has real world experience. We both race / rally for fun.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    This box / linkage has done well enough this year. Its having a proper 5sp and associated parts over the winter.

I always respect Paul's opinion as he has real world experience. We both race / rally for fun.
    Cheers Craig :-)

Dog or SCCR?

If its SCCR then I Id be more than happy using the cable shift system - the one on my 2000cc car is awesome and the cable setup a fair bit cheaper than the Quaife and turret. If its dog then as above :-)

Can you run a sequential?

Paul..

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be fitting a 5sp dog kit with clutch and turret. Hoping to keep the shifter but may swap the joints and shorten it.

New motor makes power over 9k so was advised to go for dog engagement.

Not allowed sequential and must only have 5 forward gears.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's good that everyone making a comment here has real world experience, else damming with faint praise wouldn't be appropriate.

That's what I didn't mention before; having any movement through steering IMO is god awful. Been running these IRL for over a decade & there's no looking back:-

https://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/pa...ack-mountings/

I just had the front steering setup IRL yesterday after upgrading TCAs to the larger diameter & shortened due to the castor. Tie bars also run a 3/4" bearing as I found smaller can fail ~ from the real world experience of braking, on tarmac.
    Last edited by BRoadGhost; 26-10-17 at 08:03 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    I'll be fitting a 5sp dog kit with clutch and turret. Hoping to keep the shifter but may swap the joints and shorten it.

New motor makes power over 9k so was advised to go for dog engagement.

Not allowed sequential and must only have 5 forward gears.
    Quaife or Samsonas or others?

Paul..