Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's Xe track Nova (pb fixed to page 10)

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you thought about adding a harness bar across the hoop or on the X section so they are pulling straight back rather than a slight downwards angle?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have thought long and hard about it, But i really dont like the ones in the "X" as they ruin the lines of the cage, plus the inside harness sometimes doesnt quite pull straight.

Also dont like the main hoop brace, as it reminds me too much of a stock car (plus the back of the seat is level with the hoop anyway).

I think im going to go right back to the rear brace. My Sabelt's are long enough, and its just a prefference of mine.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough you don't like how they look, but you wouldn't have problem with them "pulling straight".

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, i dont think any of my available seating positions would be a problem, but have seen some quite shocking installations before. Like this one....

Did a bit more this afternoon. Only because i had to work next to it and something was bugging the hell out of me though.

Moved the rear stay up about 2", as i wanted the door bars higher, so chopped that one out on both sides and made alterations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    I think im going to go right back to the rear brace. My Sabelt's are long enough, and its just a prefference of mine.
    Some nice upgrades your making should make a difference on track.i use to have my belts going to the rear brace on my old cage.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a bit of work on it today, Managed to get the drivers door bars finished, which sadly meant loosing the standard fuse box position.

Then i realised that i couldnt really do any more on the cage until the passenger seat rails were fitted, as otherwise it would be a right mission getting in and out to measure, cut and weld.

Then...... realised the passenger seat rails couldnt be done until the handbrake was moved back, So started on that. Decided it needed to move 110mm, so hatched a plan to re-use the old hole, which would also give me a mounting point.

So cut out the first square, then measured up a hole to re-weld it in further back

In an ideal world i could have just swapped the 2 squares over, but unfortunately that didnt work out, so had to fashion a new piece for the front hole.

Once happy, seam welded it all in.

Then started cutting tabs to hang the old handbrake mount in place, as usually it sits on the side of the original seat rail, which has now been binned.

Made a fillet for the end, which did stiffen the handbrake mounting up, but it was still a little bit flimsy.

With that done i started measuring up for the seat rails, but instantly hit a stumbling block, as the rear passenger rail would have been in the way of the handbrake mechanism.

It needed a spreader plate anyway, which would have been an asshole to fully weld, so instead i boxed the new handbrake bracket in with 2mm. which worked a treat, and in my opinion looks neater anyway.

The handbrake works fine now, as i cut the same amount out of the metal linkage bar just before it joins the cable, then re-welded that too. The guide didnt need moving and it still sits nicely on the beam, so was quite a result.

I did then get one of the seat rails in, but called it a day around 7pm.

Still hoping to have the cage completed by the end of the month, but in my defence i did forget that Febuary only has 28 days.....

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the attention to detail you put in Craig! Instead of making it work, you make it right!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it ! Cage looking good to !

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, And cheers Paul. I lie in bed at night thinking about the bits im not happy with, and convince myself that they can stay put, but always find myself grabbing the grinder in the morning and making changes.

Spending this morning welding all of the metal discs into the floor, as that too would be a mission to do once the passenger door bar goes in.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cage is done. Right on schedule, (If Feb was a normal month). Finished the passenger seat rails, then welded in all of them discs to replace the rubber bungs.

Cut out the upper firewall, drilled the holes and plated the turrets, Then started on the forward triangulation.

Measuring the angles was a bit of a pain, but got there in the end,

Did the same for the other side, and managed to re-use the angle guides which made it a little quicker.

Then as access with the tools was no longer required went on to finish the straight bars.

Very happy with it all. My OCD is satisfied, as everything is straight, everything is symmetrical, and im happy with all of the joints.

Hopefully getting fully welded on Weds by a proffesional (Adam Dewis). Mines ok, but from a safety point of view i will be much happier knowing it is welded properly.