Page 70 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's Xe track Nova (pb fixed to page 10)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, yes it’s developing well. My next job is to alter the rear beam slightly but more of that when it’s done.

Yes Iain, those jobs will only affect oil temp engine temp and air inlet temp. All are monitored and logged / displayed if required through the ECU and dash.

To be fair air inlet temp wasn’t a huge problem but a bit of fresh air isn’t going to be a bad thing. The other two were a serious problem especially given how hot last summer was. The oil cooler used to sit in front of the rad, now it’s above. Plus the rad used to be mostly blocked by the bumper.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice updates!
    can you give some more info(pm) on the fibreglass doors?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the car ready for some pre race testing at Castle Combe 11th April. Usual last minute rush, finishing jobs that in my mind take moments but in reality are half a day each.

The panels are all painted now and had to be refitted with my old windows, that was a pain because they are bolted so it was like fitting them in reverse. I also went back to original mirrors because visibility in the Mattig ones wasn’t good enough.

Interior door release I went back to original handles, again because the wire I was using wasn’t substantial and I would hate for it to fail in any kind of incident.

I finished off the air vents, very happy with those.

I got it to the track I haven’t driven for a year and started to learn it over again, hoping for a competitive lap time.

It wasn’t to be as I couldn’t get a hold of the car. It was far too stiff and unpredictable, despite being exactly how I liked it before. Maybe I’m getting old?

I spoke to an experienced friend and he said to soften it all off and start over again, progressively stiffening it up. I did that and the car started to feel good again.

Ended the day after maybe four sessions with a personal best of 1:13.13. Very happy with that.

So a successful winter rebuild. Box feels good, engine feels strong and Hopefully it’s straight back to being a front runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sealing on that bonnet is very neat, would you mind coming to do the silicone work in my bathroom?

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    The sealing on that bonnet is very neat, would you mind coming to do the silicone work in my bathroom?
    +1
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the opinions on the GSi badge? Happy for some constructive criticism.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the GSI badge but the rest of the car looks very well

have you done something about the heat issue on the gearbox?
    which front calipers were you using before the AP setup?
    Last edited by prs; 19-04-19 at 09:16 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I originally clipped it on just to see how it looked, Its for another Nova of mine which doesn't have a slatted grill yet.

I have fitted a temp sensor to the diff cover which is monitored by the dash now. It will trigger an alarm if it gets near to the set maximum temp. I cant explain the failure but no longer think it was heat related. Possibly the outer bearing race which is pressed into the casing nearest the diff had damage on it which i never noticed when fitting?

Brakes before were Wilwood Dynalite with a Bmw Mini 1 piece disc. They actually worked quite well

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you have another nova and havent started an thread about it .
    The Gsi badge is quite common over here, so it's nothing special to me.

I was thinking about the same solution on watching the gearbox temps, although I rather have it positioned on the box itself instead of the diff coverplate because of ground clearance issues.
    I just do not have enough room for an extra gearbox cooler, so I hope it will hold.

watching the pictures I noticed how low the engine sits. What engine mounts do you use and did you need to modify the mounts to have it so low?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fitted a cooler in quite easily with a small pump