Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: oil leak

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have checked the cam and rocker cover for leaks and found none however there is oil from the crankshaft on the belt side so is it safe to assume the both oil seals on the crank (is there one on the driver's side?) have gone and need replacing?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oil pump seal or oil pump

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oil pressure seems fine in the car.

Is there anyway of knowing if it is the oil pump apart from the warning light?

is it more likely to be be oil pump seal or crank seals?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re the breather, actually take the metal thing off the block & clean it... sometimes a blast from a steam cleaner is enough... sometimes putting petrol in & safely lighting it to burn the crap out works, sometimes, just cutting the bottom pipe off, fitting a length of pipe to it & the breather filter to the top of it will be better.

as for the oil seals, the front crank seal is obviously the one that is leaking, simply get a new one & fit it. they aren't big money & with care are easy enough to fit.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I had a look at the breather last weekend, I couldn't access it to take it off without removing the inlet manifold so, i put some pipe neatly on the thick pipe bit and it blew through freely. This was perhaps not enough and I will have to remove the inlet and then breather.

When you say crank front seal, is thei sthe one at the gearbox end or belt end?

If it is the one at the gearbox end, would this be sending a bit of oil through and onto the block by the crank at the belt side?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oil leak has never gotten any worse so i have just left it but, the car after the first session at knockhill always smokes. Looking at it, it is oil on the heatwrap where the exhuast manifold goes under the engine.

I have removed the wrap from the point wherethe four branch goes in to one. This has stopped any smoking but, have I made a fire risk now? If some drops of oil hit this pipe directly, will the ignite or just dissintegrate?