Thread: oil leak

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default oil leak

I had 2 oil leaks on my 1.4, the gearbox and the engine when it was under high pressure.

It has always done this since I| got it but decided to try and sort it.

I put a new gasket set on the garbox/transmission and as far as i can see there is no further leakage from this, I haven't driven it yet but have had the car running until the temperature was hot when looking at the engine leak.

All the bolts on the sump were not tight therefore I assumed this was where the engine leak was. The middle one at the front had no head on the bolt, probably why whoever did this didn't tighten the others after fear of breaking them?

Anyway, I tightened them and heated the car up, there were a few drips from where the clutch sits so I removed both flywheel and clutch cover. There was a bit of oil and some on the mechanism before the clutch. I cleaned it all as best I could and the two covers, put it back together and revved the engine whilst hot and it seems to be dry although I won 't tell until I go for a hard drive.

Is there a common oil leak at this area or is this likely just to have been oil sitting from all the work on the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a sump gasket isn't huge money. but spend some decent money on sealant.

the crank seal might be about shot, the car is at least 20 years old, so don't be surprised..

also if the rings are worn, or the breather is blocked, there will be excessive crank case pressure, and it has to come out somewhere

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that, I have checked that car now that it has sat for a few hours and has lost a few more drops of oil, again at the case that covers the clutch.

Is this more likely to be engine oil rather than gear oil? i.e. is there anyway this could be from the gearbox (more of a pain if it is as topping and checking gearbox levels is harder).

If it is likely just wear on the engine, the car is used on the track, is there any likelyhood of the leak become major and a breakdown or, leaving oil on the track which is obviously dangerous?

Or is it just got a small leak as you said, a 20 year old worn engine, and live with it!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smell the oil,you will know if its gearbox oil,it smells awful.
    If its not the sump then theres a good chance it could be dripping behind the flywheel from a leaking crankshaft oil seal

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having done the seals on the gearbox I now hate gearbox oil! As the oil is coming down from the flywheel direction, crankshaft oil seal sounds in the right direction, I hve neevr done one of theses but from the sound of crankshaft....I assume this is a big job?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well its a gearbox off job,then remove the clutch,then the flywheel and the seal is there,lever it out,place your new one in,drift it home,done.Refit the stuff you removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i were you, i'd check for crank endfloat whilst you are at it. a new set of shells & gaskets will make it last a lot longer..& won't be too expensive either

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from checking the oil frequently, is it likely to damage anything running it for a few weeks as it is?

I assume that this job will probably mean for me doing the job, the car will be off the road for weeks.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

should only take a day,even on the floor.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have no idea how rubbish I am, took me weeks to change a gearbox and even then there were problems! Seriously, I am ok with light mechanicals but anything serious....no hope.