Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Novavan

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dug my GSi dash out the garage and gave it a good clean today and it came up quite tidy

While I had the dash out I thought id fit new front speakers to it as its so awkward when the dash is in place so I bought some Alpine 10cm speakers which I thought would be a nice snug fit

They were still a nightmare to fit though, I bolted them in and used quite large washers so when I tightened them up I didn't just pull the nut through the material as its quite thin

I thought there's no point me going to all that trouble and then connecting the speakers to the original cheap GM speaker cables so I bought new good quality speaker cables and ran that from the headunit to the speakers.

Last edited by andyredtop83; 16-10-17 at 01:16 PM.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been busy with this over the bank holiday weekend, managed to fit the GSi dash in

The only problem fitting a black dash is it then looks strange having grey door handles, window winders etc so I went the whole way and changed the door handles to black as well

I got hold of some GSi black door cappings and fitted those with industrial strength double sided tape that I borrowed from work and while I was at it I fitted normal OE door locking pins, I think that's what you call them as it had Halfords ripspeed metal ones in there and I cant stand that sort of thing

While I had the door card off I had a look inside the door and its quite tidy as I know doors seem to be a problem for rust on the nova but to be on the safe side I gave them both a blast with this stuff which my local bodyshop swear by

Also the side repeaters had been fitted to the wing mirrors and there were aftermarket side repeaters in the wings which had been stuck in place with no wires behind so I ran some new cable for the side repeaters which im going to fit standard nova ones. You may be able to see where the old side repeater was as it has left a mark on the paint

Last edited by andyredtop83; 16-10-17 at 02:14 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andyredtop83 View Post
    Thanks mate, what you actually got a novavan or just a van?
    i've got a white k reg novavan with it's original 1.5 n/a diesel on 73500 miles

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    i've got a white k reg novavan with it's original 1.5 n/a diesel on 73500 miles
    Nice Any future plans for it?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tidy her up and possible put a 1.5 turbo diesel in it to help her along

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought i'd modernise this with electric windows, I managed to get hold of a complete mk2 central locking/electric window loom so I thought it would be easy peesy

I didn't need the central locking part as I already had that with the alarm but when I opened the fuse box there was no provision to plug the little black plug into to get the feed even though its a J reg and when I fitted leccy windows to a J reg trip it had the socket to take it

I was going to run a cable straight off the battery but then it would be permanently live so I ran it off the ignition (via a 30 amp fuse of course!) so its only live when the keys turned. I had to make the holes bigger in the doors to accommodate the cables for the leccy windows, central locking and speakers. I painted some primer around the bare metal to try and stop the dreaded rust and fitted rubber wiring grommets so the wire don't rub through on the metal

Then I drilled out the old regulator and was going to rivet the electric one in but my rivet gun is a cheap one from a market stool at a carboot sale for about a fiver so I played safe and bolted it in instead which will probably hold better anyway and gave the regulator a nice coating of grease on all the moving parts

After putting the GSi dash back I went to fit black heater controls but after having a look at my collection of nova parts in the garage I dug these blue ones out from a flair/SR/SRi I wasn't sure how they would look with the black but after a quick clean they look pretty good and as a bonus I also found a matching UNBROKEN blue headlight switch!!!

For some reason I put my headunit back and it wouldn't work so I bought this Alpine one and fitted that and as a bonus it lights up blue when I turn it on

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like it's coming along nicely i've just put dab in mine cos i can't get to the ariel and i don't really listen to fm now i 'm just saving for a 1.5td lump. maybe find some toys at vboa are you going? don't know whether to go in my van or my cav

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is comming on well. Any problems with the speaker clearance with the bulkhead?

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    looks like it's coming along nicely i've just put dab in mine cos i can't get to the ariel and i don't really listen to fm now i 'm just saving for a 1.5td lump. maybe find some toys at vboa are you going? don't know whether to go in my van or my cav
    Yer im going, you should bring the van along and park it on the PNG stand

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary_126 View Post
    This is comming on well. Any problems with the speaker clearance with the bulkhead?
    Its touching on one side, cant remember but im sure its the passenger side, luckily it sounded ok when I turned the radio on though.