Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone on here (seriously have a look)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are just tack welds using an industrial welder, 4 tack welds equally spaced means nothing will move but if its wrong they can be cut off, i suspect he's got a welding job where times a limit, turning the power and speed up means you can get a pipe fully seamed in a couple of seconds and when you learn to do that as a job its easier doing it on whatever welding your doing, should have put some triangular plates where the pipe met though

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/\ which can be solved with a bit of reading... the original quattro had front suspension grafted into the back & they went ok

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think hes made a pretty good start. as for not doing the front part of the cage yet, why would you? i myself know that having a cage makes it awkward as funk getting in and out whilst trying to work on it, i would make the back end first as well if i were doing it. i also think the arm should clear the box and even if not its a very easy fix. i say when you do better feel free to criticize

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgo View Post
    i think hes made a pretty good start. as for not doing the front part of the cage yet, why would you? i myself know that having a cage makes it awkward as funk getting in and out whilst trying to work on it, i would make the back end first as well if i were doing it. i also think the arm should clear the box and even if not its a very easy fix. i say when you do better feel free to criticize
    Agreed working around a front cage especially with door bars is a complete ballache. Think this would be a great base for a competant builder.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know the lad that was building it and i also know the lad that has bought it, why are some people banging on criticising as if this was the finished product?? it was no where near it was just literally tacked together and a ongoing build ffs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we were discussing some of the aspects of it. it was obviously still being mocked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matthew172 View Post
    i know the lad that was building it and i also know the lad that has bought it, why are some people banging on criticising as if this was the finished product?? it was no where near it was just literally tacked together and a ongoing build ffs

i hope you dont think i posted this to slate it, i honestly thourght the build was leading to something epic and hope it still does if the build continues please pm me the link
    Last edited by turbojolt; 27-04-12 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    2. the rollcage is shocking. where is the triangulation to the front end & safety cell for the driver?? and as for that joint.... is there any strength in it at all??
    Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    we were discussing some of the aspects of it. it was obviously still being mocked up.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ have some rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will now bring your attention to this joint

in the event of any stress being put on that joint, the upper & lower vertical tubes will act like a pair of shears & deform/snap the horizontal tube, thus causing a major structural failure, and putting the occupants in danger..

if the 3 pipes had actually been joined at a single point, and triangulated properly with the removeable tube in the corner, as opposed to 3" up the tube so that would bend badly too, then i would have been raving about the fabrication as being well engineered too. it is not

as for the total lack of front cage, unfortunately, you can't massively alter the structure of one half of a car & do sod all to the other half. it needs fitting & joining to the front suspension too, for structural integrity, as you really can't trust an old well used shell to be up to the job, as for door bars, then can be added last.

sorry if i have offended people, but i am saying it as i see it.