Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropped kerb please

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, its not legal as far as I know but I live right on the end of a cul de sac so chances of something getting damaged are very slim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

place across the road from me just has some tarmac to make two up ramps. i expect because its not a typical kerb...its good ol' cornish stone kerbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

legally, you are meant to use a certified streetworks accredited contractor, simply ring all the local non gypo tarmac people & get a decent cash price..

to get the kerbs out is a doddle, hire a jackhammer/kango, dig down the back of the kerbs, do not mess with the sub base, take kerbs out & fit new drops on a thin bed of dry mortar.. couple of hours, knock up some concret to haunch up the backs & after 24 hrs, get it tarmaced...

you may guess, i'm actually streetworks accredited.. but getting the council permit is the pain in the bum.. your driveway may not actually be legal, they need to assess access issues.

you also have to be careful to avoid virgin media cables, they are dead shallow....

oh, and laying tarmac is not a simple diy job...

just get a pro in.. i'm surprised your block pavers can't do it or recommend someone

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    legally, you are meant to use a certified streetworks accredited contractor, simply ring all the local non gypo tarmac people & get a decent cash price..

to get the kerbs out is a doddle, hire a jackhammer/kango, dig down the back of the kerbs, do not mess with the sub base, take kerbs out & fit new drops on a thin bed of dry mortar.. couple of hours, knock up some concret to haunch up the backs & after 24 hrs, get it tarmaced...

you may guess, i'm actually streetworks accredited.. but getting the council permit is the pain in the bum.. your driveway may not actually be legal, they need to assess access issues.

you also have to be careful to avoid virgin media cables, they are dead shallow....

oh, and laying tarmac is not a simple diy job...

just get a pro in.. i'm surprised your block pavers can't do it or recommend someone
    Cheers for the info. The council have approved the drive. The block worker has asked about the ducts - that sides fine I'm with sky but he'll need to watch for the neighbours!

He's not interested in it as at the time the local authority were charging 500 quid and for him to match that he wasn't making much. He's put me in touch with a mate that'll do it for 700. Proper Tarmac guy.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both BT and Cable TV are shallow.£700 is cheap,one of my customers paid £1300 iirc for only 2 approved contractors,and the company he chose were the cheapest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Sorry I know this is an old thread but am wondering if anyone has had any recent luck with dropped kerbs in South Lanarkshire. Have approval from the council and need RAUC approved contractors - only quote I have been able to get so far is £2000+VAT+£260 for the permit which is a little ridiculous, especially considering quotes for other council areas. Any information or advice would be great thanks!