Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete audio setup - reccomendations required.

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's some 16cm holes under the vinyl on your doorcards, and some door trimming to suit, I'd take the opportunity to run an amp as it'll be both easier and much much better quality. Think my amp cost me £30-40 on ebay. If it's as short as mine used to be it will fit under the drivers seat, ghetto heated seats ftw

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sod that, it'll be getting the other 16cm fli speaker tomorrow and the alpine head unit. My amp is a bit cack tbh so I reckon the quality will be better straight off the head unit anyways

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chance, even a cheap amp will be miles better than most head units, bear in mind the head unit has an amp in it as well, it's just squeezed up into a tiny space in the back! Now what looks better, the slightly cack purpose built unit that's about 30cm square, or the 5x10cm well we kinda need one so it works deal?

Sound was very very good out of my sony head unit... but trying to drive 16cm speakers you need a bit more grunt from a proper amp imo. Plus you've gotta run all the cabling anyway, so may as well.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sure it's worth the hassle? Head unit is an alpine jobbie & the amp is a "bse" eBay special 3000watt. Looks like the Bose logo but without the o... Drove my sub fine but absolutely mullered my alpine 13cm speakers very rapidly, hence why I'm a little worried about running it with the fli's.

Perhaps I'll look into a proper amp as soon as I've got the car on some nice wheels but at the minute its all a case of budgeting as Ive got the arches to shell out on soon :/

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999 View Post
    No chance, even a cheap amp will be miles better than most head units, bear in mind the head unit has an amp in it as well, it's just squeezed up into a tiny space in the back! Now what looks better, the slightly cack purpose built unit that's about 30cm square, or the 5x10cm well we kinda need one so it works deal?
    Dont make me hurt you with Data sheets for amplifier circuits that will easily fit in a Single DIN headunit and sound better than most cheap and nasty big amp units

That said, most single din head units dont have decent spec amplifiers fitted since they are £25 a piece + other components and the BOM for headunits is about 50pence