0 Thread(s)

Smash the internals out?

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

emissions will still be to cock though and thats easy to test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gather the HID issues are down to the lens of the lamp, a wiper or washer has to be fitted.

Hopefully all the daytime HID brigade should disappear over time. LOL

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh, a place down the road for me has always seemed to pass my suspect novas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craig green View Post
    I gather the HID issues are down to the lens of the lamp, a wiper or washer has to be fitted.
    Washers are required with HIDs according to the EU regs, levellers are required depending on the beam pattern (but that goes for halogens too). Beam pattern is still part of the test for all lamps.

This was posted on CCUK, again probably recycled from another source, but still:
    Tonight I attended what is known as an MOT seminar, basically the head honchos from VOSA go to each area, and talk about the MOT scheme, including changes to the test.

As I said in the thread about the new EU directive, as soon as I knew what was changing in the MOT test I would post it up. These changes are to be brought into the test on 1st January 2012, not before. So here goes...

Steering lock operation - Steering locks not engaging when the ignition key is removed will fail.
    Engine warning lamps, brake fluid warning lamps, ESP lamps, EPB lamps illumination - ANY of the above illuminated indicating a fault will fail.TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring systems) warning lamps - Again, if illuminated indicating a fault, will fail.Airbag/SRS lamp illumination - If this warning lamp is illuminated it will fail.
    HID Headlamps - Now, a little grey area here. They will be included in the new test, and will fail if they prove to be outside of the specified conditions... but the conditions and reasons for rejections haven't been written/decided yet, so sit tight.
    Wiring - Any wiring (loomed or otherwise) that is damaged, or fitted in such a way that could cause damage to said wiring, or other systems will fail.
    Engine mountings - Engine mountings will be a part of the test. incorrect mounting, corrosion in a prescribed area etc will fail.
    PAS (Power assisted steering) fluid level will be tested.
    Rear doors must open in the new test. Previously (and currently), if the tester feels he can access the testable items in the rear (seatbelts, prescribed areas etc) without needing the doors open, they don't need to open. This will now be a failure.
    13 pin towbar sockets - tested for correct operation using a plug in testing tool.
    Inappropriate modifications or repairs - The wording on this is quite vague at the moment, but if a major component has been modified, and that modification/repair makes the vehicle dangerous or seriously weakens the original component, expect it to fail.
    ANY ball joint dust cover - The small rubber boots over ball joints must be intact and free or splits, tears or holes, or it fails.
    All CVJ gaiters will be tested - Currently, only the front outer] CVJ gaiters are tested. This new rule extends it to inner and outer, front and rear.
    A catalytic converter missing WILL be a reason for failure, regardless of whether or not the emissions limits are met.
    Fuel pipe chaffing or damage - Currently they only fail when they are leaking, this rule means that any chaffing or rubbing causing damage will fail.
    The braking imbalance limit is lowered to 30% across all axles.
    Vehicles built post July 2010 will have to have at least 58% braking efficiency to pass (currently it's 50% for a dual circuit braking system)
    Insecure batteries will become a failure
    The main beam warning lamp must illuminate with the main beam lamps
    All light switches must operate the corresponding lights immediately. No tapping, or wiggling to make it work!

Remember, these changes will all be brought into testing starting from the 1st January 2012. The exact wording of each failure has yet to be released, but the above list is what was presented to us earlier this evening. I've posted all I know currently, so unfortunately I can't help with any questions ....
    I assume the bit about catalytic converter missing will be depending on if the car is supposed to have one, otherwise all Novas bar late spec untouched ones will fail

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto levelers arent needed if the "boot" cant take more than 50Kg

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Auto levelers arent needed if the "boot" cant take more than 50Kg
    Pretty sure most Nova boots would fall through at 50kg, since most are not fully attached at the rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought they failed for battery insecure anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at the moment.

Stu, levelling devices (manual; auto ones required with AFS) are needed if the headlights have a beam pattern at a particular height according to EU regs

Heckington, Lincs. Drives: 3.1 Trooper & XE'd Nova SR Garage Ornament
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swedge View Post
    i thought they failed for battery insecure anyway?
    it's 3 points and a hefty fine if spotted by a copper at the road side, but it's fine to pass an MOT like that