Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: D.I.Y flocking kits

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very hard wearing stuff if prepped properly.

I've yet to flock any wheels but I have a set for myself which I'm going to try.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova ian View Post
    This man is your best bet, see iainel's project thread for pics of his stuff. Alot better quality than my efforts!
    Don't down yourself mate - that is brilliant considering it was a puffer!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Flocking wheels, get a grip man

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazil View Post
    iirc paul used one, its not really flocking, more just covering your dash with glue then throwing flock material at it, ive tried the ebay stuff and the Frost kit, all i'll say is that id never use it on a full dash. waste of time imo
    Not true. You can buy the guns that make the anti static charge to make the balls of flock stick glue, and other the glue. So there is no masking up and stuff.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really wouldnt bother mate, its cheap as chips from companys, ive currently got an astra mk4 dash with suffolk flocking services. really good blokes to deal with and in newbury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Not true. You can buy the guns that make the anti static charge to make the balls of flock stick glue, and other the glue. So there is no masking up and stuff.
    Yes on eBay you can get a flock applicator, the cheapest I've seen was £80 fir a used one and £150 for a new or or get a fabricoater one for £350, then there is the issue of propperly conductive resin and then the dye to colour the resin never mind buying the actual flock aswell,

I've yet to see this amount of stuff sold as a kit, the DIY kits that you get on eBay for £30 and frost aswell are nothing like proper electrostatic flocking kits.

Trust this Benn I have looked deeply into this Market and all possible types of kits avalible for different applications, I have bought the 2 bottle kit from eBay and a very similar kit from frost and was disappointed with the results, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
    success is only limited by a weak mind

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok dude, i've never looked in the the machine so.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DIY Puffer kits are OK if your doing very small trims like vent surrounds etc but anything bigger you will need an Electrostatic flock applicator. This charges the flock fibres and makes them attach to the substrate at right angles.

Then, its all about careful preparation using the correct materials (resins/primers) and also the enviroment that your going to be doing the flocking.

Ideally, the flocking area/room should have a relative humidity of 60% and a temperature of 20C and must be sealed. Doing it in your shed or garage will reflect on the final finish (Cack)

You then need to think of prepping the substrate which is the most important part as plastics in most cars are designed to be self releasing to repel dirt & particles from sticking to them. The consequence of this is that no epoxy resin will naturally glue to this surface. This is where you need to use special solutions before the adhesive is applied to help the epoxy gain a chemical bond with the plastic to be flocked. If you dont do this then the flock will naturally peel off in time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris @ PRP; 10-08-11 at 05:55 PM. Reason: spelling

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ PRP View Post
    Then, its all about careful preparation using the correct materials (resins/primers) and also the enviroment that your going to be doing the flocking.
    totally agree, the actual flocking process itself is *relatively* quick/simple after all the prep and setting up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pie View Post
    any one use them ?
    weres the best place to but a kit etc

thanks
    If you want something with a decent finish and lifespan don't bother with a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by nova ian View Post
    I've done a few bits with the frost kit.

Results aren't the best, but for the money it's not bad if you take your time. Very messy though!
    Thats not a bad finish for the puffer kits, I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsnova View Post
    Whats flocking like to clean when it gets dusty.
    As before, wash, wipe, hoover, my external stuff will stand up to jetwashing, couldn't say for other companies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    I'm not sure if Ramsport do it in house, if they do they certainly don't use their kits they sell

Hover it, wash it, wipe it etc etc. I've seen many things flocked from dashboards to rocker covers to even wheels!
    Most likely mine seeing as I was the first to do wheels and rocker covers. I carried it out as durability testing which was why I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prey View Post
    It's very hard wearing stuff if prepped properly.

I've yet to flock any wheels but I have a set for myself which I'm going to try.
    The main issues with wheels is the complexity of them, you will most likely need to use an air assisted machine to get the best finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    Flocking wheels, get a grip man
    As above, they were done for durability.

Yes on eBay you can get a flock applicator, the cheapest I've seen was £80 fir a used one and £150 for a new or or get a fabricoater one for £350, then there is the issue of propperly conductive resin and then the dye to colour the resin never mind buying the actual flock aswell,

I've yet to see this amount of stuff sold as a kit, the DIY kits that you get on eBay for £30 and frost aswell are nothing like proper electrostatic flocking kits.

Trust this Benn I have looked deeply into this Market and all possible types of kits avalible for different applications, I have bought the 2 bottle kit from eBay and a very similar kit from frost and was disappointed with the results, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
    You would be suprised how many companies dont use the proper glue or even use dyes, hence they cheap prices. The glue and dyes are the most expensive consumable, flock is the cheap bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris @ PRP View Post
    The DIY Puffer kits are OK if your doing very small trims like vent surrounds etc but anything bigger you will need an Electrostatic flock applicator. This charges the flock fibres and makes them attach to the substrate at right angles.

Ideally, the flocking area/room should have a relative humidity of 60% and a temperature of 20C and must be sealed. Doing it in your shed or garage will reflect on the final finish (Cack)

You then need to think of prepping the substrate which is the most important part as plastics in most cars are designed to be self releasing to repel dirt & particles from sticking to them. The consequence of this is that no epoxy resin will naturally glue to this surface. This is where you need to use special solutions before the adhesive is applied to help the epoxy gain a chemical bond with the plastic to be flocked. If you dont do this then the flock will naturally peel off in time.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris
    Chris, you don't work with Raj by any chance do you or close to him as he was Wrexham based, well still is but not by DT any more.

Thought I would drop in a few pics that may interest.

Latest set of wheels at Players show

Set of Honda control arms and lower brace

Refurbed Momo steering wheel

Flocked two tone british flag for a mini roof

Bentley wing, basically the painters messed up all the panelbeating etc and the car was needed next day for a wedding so we decided to flock it to hide the defects (the rest of the car was trimmed in black leather outside).

Mk2 Atra Turbo inlet manifold (done all the polished bits as the owner has got tired of polishing them, distributror, fans etc etc)

Rocker covers and finally below, some old wheels that eventrually covered 17k miles

oh and my flocked Evo