Thread: Doesw anyone know how remand works??

Senior User
    Somewhere under the bonnet. Drives: Mark 4 Astra GSi turbo. Builds: Nothing yet.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Doesw anyone know how remand works??

Basically my brother has been a bit of a tw4t...

Got himself into trouble. I'm not going into too many details. I don't want anyone's opinions on whether or not he deserves to be there etc, I already know he is bang to rights.

Basically the problem I have is to do with the visiting system for Elmley prison and how remand works.

He has been on remand since february. And as such have been able to go visit him willy nilly so to speak as convicted prisoners need Visiting Orders. Now he has been remanded again til october for sentancing. Tried booking a visit to see him for tomorrow. I got a reply back saying he has been convicted and now needs VOs. Can anyone shed any light on how to get round this?? Only the way I see it, he is still on remand as he hasn't been sentanced yet. That's not til October so technically (well the way I see it anyways) he isn't a convicted prisoner.

This was a complete surprise to everyone, especially my mum. She isn't coping with this quite as well as she'd have us believe.

Anyone help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJus...ers/DG_4002984

he has been convicted, but for whatever reason, the judge has defered sentencing, probably for social & psychological reports or something similar to be made, so read the link, and do what it says. real prison is the most inflexible thing there is...& i've only ever done contracting work for them......

Senior User
    Somewhere under the bonnet. Drives: Mark 4 Astra GSi turbo. Builds: Nothing yet.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But surely he should be on something called Judges remand??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you will never beat the prison service... havent you ever heard of those prisoners who continually protest that they were not guilty of whatever they were convicted of, and the prison service simply won't release them as they haven't admitted it was them who did it..? one bloke was in for about 15 years more than he should have been but he kept saying he wasn't guilty, and eventually it was proved that he was innocent....

just play to their rules & it goes quicker, a mate got 8 months for ghb, and was out in 4 & he spent his time redoing his gcse's. he will never get in that situation again.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

convicted is convicted
    vo or no show

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by netaoeolsdrj View Post
    if its that good, why are you in spain???? oh yes, nobody steps on buses with 10kg of tnt in their jumper in spain.....

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    convicted is convicted
    vo or no show
    I am aware of that. I simply don't know enough about this system. As far as I knew he wouldn't be officially convicted til October when he was sentanced.

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    you will never beat the prison service... havent you ever heard of those prisoners who continually protest that they were not guilty of whatever they were convicted of, and the prison service simply won't release them as they haven't admitted it was them who did it..? one bloke was in for about 15 years more than he should have been but he kept saying he wasn't guilty, and eventually it was proved that he was innocent....

just play to their rules & it goes quicker, a mate got 8 months for ghb, and was out in 4 & he spent his time redoing his gcse's. he will never get in that situation again.
    I'm not trying to beat the prison service. I don't know enough about it for a start. I was merely asking what was going on simply because he hasn't been sentanced yet, and I thought that's when all the official bullsh!t starts...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentencing is totally different matter-they just tell you how long your locked up for.
    Im guessing he was on remand awaiting trial then got convicted.
    So now he will most likely be on at the least a different wing if not been shipped out to another jail.