Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: It was nice knowing F1, Thanks Bernie you money grabbing back stabber!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phazer View Post
    If only BT had been allowed to fibre the country in the 90's when the wanted to...we could all have 100mb+ internet access by now
    BT still can now though, but they wont invest that much money to upgrade there network that, at present, does work. You know the saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it etc.

Hell even the Virgin network isn't fully fibre optic. Its only fibre upto the Node in the DP (green box in the street).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    BT still can now though, but they wont invest that much money to upgrade there network that, at present, does work. You know the saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it etc.

Hell even the Virgin network isn't fully fibre optic. Its only fibre upto the Node in the DP (green box in the street).
    BT wanted originally to fibre the whole country, but the powers that be decided that it would be unfair to the competition and told BT if they did it they would have to give up lots of it. Pretty much what happened with the unbundling, only this would have included BT equipment not just access to the exchange.

No company in their right mind would spend billions to not be able to make any money back from it. BT are now rolling FTTC and FTTP in areas where it is viable (i.e. ducting in the road to houses to avoid costly roadworks) or where a return can be made quickly. This isn't the same as a country wide rollout of a technology.

If you knew what hoops BT had to jump through due to the regulator (mainly due to it being ex Government) you would laugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its bollocks any way no one cares!! go watch a real motor sport go watch some rallying preferably historical!!!

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, but I think Mike just spoke interwebs technical speak... Who the hell taught him that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phazer View Post
    That is true, 2 way has been around but again it's much much more expensive than 1 way sat, let alone 'broadband'. That's before you even get to the practical limitations of the the technology. You need a large dish for reliable, high bandwidth applications - can't see mass market appeal here. It was BSB that introduced the smaller consumer dish in the first place. Dish placement has to be precise, and can still be subject to interference from other satellite services. Finally, satellite services as susceptible to rain interference, doesn't cause much in the way of problems for TV but it will if you're using the data element for your TV.

A company targetting the mass market are not going to invest heavily in a technology that only a few (mainly rural folk) would pay for, let alone pay for the support costs of countless users moaning that the data isn't working because the weather is bad again or a pidgeon has moved the dish a mm or two.

I do agree that internet services are the way forward but they won't become 'standard issue' or as highly developed as I'd like to see until even those out in the sticks can get a few meg download speed.

If only BT had been allowed to fibre the country in the 90's when the wanted to...we could all have 100mb+ internet access by now
    I agree with everything you just said.

Thats kind of my point, if they don't pursue a satellite based internet system that is better than the current 2 way setup thats availiable, AND the phone lines are upgraded to cope with a reasonable bandwidth, AND virgin have their cable, AND most TV becomes internet based, what is bskyb's niche? They will just become another talk talk, selling internet off the back of a BT network.

Save this post for posterity if you want, I'm pretty sure sky will be in trouble within the next decade UNLESS they do something to overhaul their sattelite network.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think Mike just spoke interwebs technical speak... Who the hell taught him that?

Who ever did, removed the bit of his brain that says dont expose undeveloped camera film to light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think Mike just spoke interwebs technical speak...
    This is true....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Who ever did, removed the bit of his brain that says dont expose undeveloped camera film to light
    But sadly this is also