Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Main stealer L3 Technician wages?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by autoworksnovasport
    but if he is offerd that much to work for them how much is he making them in return
    Thats the wrong attitude to have entirely.
    Thats like someone saying "Well morisons last year earned £XXX,XXX,XXX How come i only get £6.xx an hour??,i served their customers to earn that!!"
    If you work for a company who earn millions every year and profits keep rising but wages stay the same then that takes the piss,ive been in a situation like that before,was working alongside a bloke window fitting,sub contracting,i did 3 hours extra which was £10 an hour
    "Im not paying you that as we finished at 2.30 on Friday.
    He cleared £1200 after tax that week..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no youve got me wrong what im saying is if "we" can do a job why not spend a bit of time making the contacts doing the research on the buisness background ect and go for it youself
    There are some industries you can and some you cant, in my industry i would need at least 250k to setup a one man band and the whole industry is built on respect and trust and quality, a one man outfit just wont cut it or it would take years to build a reputation.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Thats the wrong attitude to have entirely.
    Thats like someone saying "Well morisons last year earned £XXX,XXX,XXX How come i only get £6.xx an hour??,i served their customers to earn that!!"
    If you work for a company who earn millions every year and profits keep rising but wages stay the same then that takes the piss,ive been in a situation like that before,was working alongside a bloke window fitting,sub contracting,i did 3 hours extra which was £10 an hour
    "Im not paying you that as we finished at 2.30 on Friday.
    He cleared £1200 after tax that week..........
    you obviously didnt read my next message

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you obviously didnt read my next message
    i didnt,you right
    I see what you mean,just it sounded like how i wrote at 1st

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i agree with ben some forms of buisiness would be hard to get into but people do it else there would be no competition not sure what buisness he is in but "somtimes" people like a one man band rather than a big company makes it feel a more personal transaction (not in that way either mr baxter)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i agree with ben some forms of buisiness would be hard to get into but people do it else there would be no competition not sure what buisness he is in but "somtimes" people like a one man band rather than a big company makes it feel a more personal transaction (not in that way either mr baxter)
    Thats true,most of my customers like that i work alone as theyve had van fulls of lads who work for someone turn up and dont give a fukk about quality or keeping the customer happy as they only care about getting in the pub asap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phazer
    You're in the wrong IT job
    Tell me about it, despite popular opinion the majority of civil servants get a sh!t wage

Mind you, all I'm seeing round here for pen testers and infosec is <=£25k a year. Managerial stuff is a few more qud but thats boring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on our groundworks firm, we offer a 'give us the plans and come back when we've finished' sort of service.... because house builders & developers really don't have a clue about or need to care what goes on under the damp course, as long as it is done right....we liaise direct with planners, building control & architects/engineers... we have built up a reputation over 20 odd years for it. the customer doesn't need bothering with every minute detail that could stop the job, thats not what they pay for... we have had lads working for us that think, i'll start up my own business & they usually come a cropper on a job where they haven't properly looked at the plans, and then have literally run away from it, leaving people with half a job done, and then we've gone in & sorted it out with the minimum of fuss.... customer care is very important in all forms of business...

on our transport firm, we are more about trying to communicate with the end user to get the stuff there on or near the time... it is a lot more difficult to keep them happy... the other day, we had a hiab pipe go, and we were running late on a 200 mile trip, and the customer said, well, its not convenient if they come after 5pm, they'll have to pop in another day with the goods!!!!!!! that took some diplomacy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack

Tell me about it, despite popular opinion the majority of civil servants get a sh!t wage

Mind you, all I'm seeing round here for pen testers and infosec is <=£25k a year. Managerial stuff is a few more qud but thats boring.
    Slightly flippant comment earlier, I do know where you're coming from. Doesn't affect me but since the hay days of late 90's early 00's IT support jobs have reduced in wage significantly. It did pay quite well but it's considered almost MacDonalds level by a lot of employers now.

Having said all of that, wages for software develpment varies wildly. Seems a lot of companies think proper web apps can be written by a 17 year old for 20k a year - all well and good but you'll throw the code away when it needs modifying.

I'm pleased I got started when I did as I'm long time served now with a large amount of experience in a myriad of different projects.

I think I've seen bits before so excuse the bad memory, what exactly do you do? Is it sysadmin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardware support for the MOD naval helicopter maintenance database, I manage/config/build their servers, laptops etc. The role has been modified a little recently to include change management and security etc as well.

Contracted out to Boeing at the moment, so we'll see what happens with them