Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Being personally sued, when I have insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Being personally sued, when I have insurance.

I'll try to keep it short as it's a long drawn out claim and story.

I had a 50 50 accident with a biker early last year, we both share the same witness who stated neither party was to blame. I was a named driver on the Policy with TPFT.

This has went on for ages backwards and forwards until the biker got a solicitor involved, in which my Insurance company contact me asking if I would be willing to stand in court (which was fine).

I then receive today (with no prior contact with my Insurers) a court summons up in sheffield (5 hour journey for me) from the biker and his solicitor etc.

It states that it's from him trying to claim almost 6 grand of damages from me (his bike box hit my wing, denting the box only but staying on the bike, he's trying to claim for a new helmet, leathers, personal injury etc). It also states that they have received a sum of £1400 from my parties insurance company (which I was never made aware of), and the summons is directed at myself for the remaining 5 grand.

Surely as I was Insured this should prevent him from taking me personally to court rather than dealing with my insurers?.

He also works as a bike breaker and is rather well off, obviously repaired his bike himself and got a "hookey" bill. Whereas I'm a 19 year old who pays about 80% of my incoming money as required outgoings (petrol for work, Insurance, Finance on a laptop required for my job etc). So how would someone like myself afford to get to sheffield, see a solicitor, and if I lose pay 6 grand when I probably only have £100 spare cash each month?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have legal cover with your insurance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

was TPFT at the time, no extras (have since moved company).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the insurance company paid his claim but he is going to take a private case against you? That'll be expensive if he loses,

Probably because the insurance company paid out he believes that you have admited liability and is trying to screw you,

get a lawyers advice on no win no fee or contact your local CAB about the summons to see if there can be anything done
    success is only limited by a weak mind

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he sounds like a cnut IMO, and he doesn't seem like he will be happy til he has ****ed you over if the bike is sorted then why does he feel the need to persue it? Tosser. Hope things work out in your favour pal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'm more concerned about (also unable to contact my local rep until monday) is that it states my Insurance company provided a figure of £1400. Which is like they've paid out, but only a percentage. In which has made him try to claim the remaining amount by targeting me personally.

And cheers rich, he seems to be one of those types who make our premiums high. I just find it ridiculous how a 40+ year old man with a family of kids older than me, still is trying to rinse a 19 year old (who lives at home) for every last penny... I don't know whether the court would see this point too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Civil cases can be dirty, your insurance companys involment will have ended once they paid out,

by taking civil action your insurance company will have no involvment so YOU need to act now on your own behalf, Tomorrow ring round a few lawyers and get advice,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be popping into a couple on monday, none of my ones in the surrounding area are open on a sunday and I would rather not use a "big-fish" lawyer firm.

/edit

Reading the Government websites, it seems if I appear to be unable to financially afford the payment (which including interest would easily be over half a years wages) they would "cancel" the CCJ. What's the likeliness of this happening?
    Last edited by MK1_Ben; 20-02-11 at 12:38 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no experience with lawyers or court or whatever. but i would get some advise from lawyers, some with experience with car accidents (if they exist) and crush this greedy w4nker, then flip the tables and ask for travel expenses and accommodation and stuff. I have no idea how to do it, but please do it, people like him boil my blood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Koonts like him are why insurance for younger folk is so high and the success of injury claim lawyers doesn't help.