Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam's Nova X16XE Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then the cams were fitted along with the new Dbilas vernier pulleys..

Cambelt guides fitted along with the alternator and Roose hoses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the engine rebuild it was then time to wrap and fit the manifold..

I then took my gearbox over to a friend who swapped the gear cluster for an F13CR one (as it has the removeable pinion gear), fitted my Quaife ATB and fitted a new crownwheel and pinion to make the FD 4.18.

It was then time to get the Nova out of hiding and towed to my work ready for the engine fitment. But before that, it would have been rude not to get pictures of two broken rot box Vauxhalls

Got the Nova to work and onto the ramp. First job was to fit the new Corsa 2.7 turn rack with poly mounts...

Then the cambelt was fitted to the engine along with the bottom inlet and a couple more bits and pieces...

I painted up the new Dbilas inlet using VHT wrinkle paint..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was then time to get the engine fitted. We decided on the 'in from the bottom' approach this time and will do so from now on!

Then was the task of starting to piece everything back together..

It was around 9pm by the time it was all finished so we wasted no time in getting the car started and bed the rings in for 20 minutes. This was all done without any dramas and it started on the button (after priming the oil pump) which I was surprised about

It was then left like this that night...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent a little bit of time tidying bits up and refitted the scuttle cover along with a couple of complementary stickers..

6 point harnesses crutch strap added to drivers harness..

I finally managed to get my Cavalier rear ARB fitted too. Excuse the mess underneath, it was very wet and dirty on the roads before it came off the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now for the part I kept a secret from everyone for quite a while. Ever since I've had the engine conversion, it's always missed that 'special touch'. I had stumbled across the perfect private plate about 1.5 years ago and ever since wanted it for the Nova. Fortunately, it was still available and I felt it was the perfect time to purchase it..

So, welcome everyone to C16XE X....

As everything was now back together and it was all legal for the road, I gave it a jetwash and took it out for a long drive to run the engine in..

Within 4 days, 500 'running in' miles were completed and the old girl never missed a beat.

As I had to do an oil and filter change I thought it would be the perfect time to fit my oil pressure and temperature senders using another sandwich plate. I also wired in and fitted the new gauges...

Here's just a couple of pictures from running it in until now..

As I mentioned earlier, the Nova never missed a bit until the other day. As you can read above, the 'hesitation' appeared back again. Beforehand this was due to the inlet manifold leaking air (I believe) because it was running too lean but this time it started running too rich.

I lost all motivation and decided to put the Nova away for a few days to have a rest and get some motivation back. I never managed to find the cause of this but decided to get it out and use it a couple of times. The hesitation slowly got worse until last night when I lost near on all power and was getting serious pinking/detonation.

I managed to limp it home where I eventually found that the crankshaft sensor plug had slowly worked its way loose (obviously over a week or two) until it completely lost contact last night. After refitting it, I took it out again and it drive like a dream, absolutely spot on. So much so it scared me to a certain extent!

But, in my hastily fashion, instead of just giving up I put a deposit down on an engine package. As posted above, this engine package included a set of Jenvey ITB's with MBE management. As I thought the hesitation problem was either ECU or wiring related, and the fact i've always wanted a set of ITB's this was the perfect excuse to just go ahead and do it.

So now the Nova is running perfectly and the fact it should be fitted with a set of Jenveys by PVS, my love for the old girl has grown strong again!

Thanks for reading this very long winded update. I really should try and update my thread as and when things happen really...

And the last picture i'll leave you with is the last I took when I put it away and questioned selling up....

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really glad you found the prob and have the love back. That's great news.

As said before i love the plate. Have you thought of a cut down plate to fit on the front bumper?
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Ben, yes. But for this year i'm going with 'function over form' with the Nova. So i'll be swapping the front bumper at some point with my other one with holes cut to allow more air to get to the radiator.

That is also why I haven't had the engine bay sprayed like I wanted to. As I just want to get the Nova out and actually enjoy it, do a fair few track days, a trip to Nurburg etc.

Then, during the winter I'll spend a bit of time getting the bay sprayed along with the new doors (as the bottoms of the current ones are rusty) and generally just tidy it all up again.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally fair, i know the feeling of just wanting to drive the bloody thing.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you not putting the cambelt cover back on ? good work mate looks great

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Liam. I would like to know what fan do you have fitted to your rad?