Thread: My 1.6 8v itb nova

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My 1.6 8v itb nova

This is my nova build. I have been meaning to write this for a while now but never got round to it. I have read so many projects on here for motivation and thought it would be good if my build thread had the same effect on someone else.

I have been building this for some time now in my spare time and hope to be finished (if there is such a thing) soon. I have done all the work myself with some help from my brother who is very knowledgeable when it comes to engine management.

It started life as a one litre and was a not too bad a shell at the time. I drove it for 2 years as I needed a car for work. Looking back I would have started with a better shell, but I could not afford a better shell when I started. At least having a rotten nova has taught me how to weld and spray.

The aim of this build is to have a nova how I have always wanted it, with everything working and set up to how I like it. The car will compete in the hill climbs, sprints and the odd track day when it is finished.

This is when I first got it.

Few pictures of the rot and rust I was up against.

As you can see its not the best shell ever. The good thing is that the structural parts were not too bad. The doors bonnet and boot etc were in pretty good nick. All the rust was cut out and new clean metal welded in.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole engine bay, front chassis legs and rear chassis legs were stitch welded and group A strengthening plates welded in. This was probably over kill for a 1.6 but I knew it was better done now rather than later.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rear arches were in a horrible state. The inner lid has completely disintegrated. I had left this job till last because I knew that it’s the bit would really make it look bad if not done right. By this point id like to think I had a fair grip of how to yolk the welder.

Panel marked up against the arch. These lines were kept straight as possible so that it would be easier to make repair section fit

The rot was then cut out, exposing the inner tub.

The rust was cleaned back until I had some substantial metal to weld to.

The repair section was cut 12mm or so bigger all the way around. I joggled the repair section all the way around so that it would sit as flush as possible. I wanted to use as little cataloy as possible

Once I was happy wit the outer arch I drew round the inside with a marker so I knew where the inner tub ended. I made a template then used another repair section to build up the inner tub. I tacked it on and tried the outer arch on to see if the two lips would touch.

When I was happy with the fit I welded the tub up

the outer arch was then fitted then welded on. I did it in stitches until it was welded all the way around, allowing it to cool in between to avoid heat distortion.

I drilled holes down the lip of the outer arch as far to the outer edge as I could get away with. This was so I could trim back the arches and still have the plug welded joining the outer arch to the inner tub. The lip was trimmed back later on.

Other side arch done using same method.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The floor had rusted along the inside. I had never seen a nova as bad as this here before. It wasn’t so bad to fix. I cut all the way along and ground off the rust. I then bent some sheet metal at 90deg and welded it in. I used a jack to push it up against the floor and welded all the way along from the inside.

I then made plates up for the cage to bolt in. The cage was second hand so I had to make raised plates so that the cage would fit snug along the roof and square down the door pillars. I used 4” box section and cut it to fit. I welded captive nuts on the back so it could bolt in. I then plated up the ends so it was a solid box.

Once all the plates were welded I painted the floor white. Don’t know why white but always thought it looked cool on rally cars when there nice and clean.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cut out all the rust and welded up the front headlight bowls. I then fitted a new slam panel and valence.

I built the engine up. I didn’t want to throw money at it until I had it up and running but wanted a good solid base to start with. I changed the usual rebuild parts, rings, seals, gaskets, belts, new oil and water pump and lapped in valves. The head was left pretty standard other than taking the edges off the ports and port matching the manifolds. I lightened and balanced the flywheel and crank. A cam will be chosen once I figure out where the power is and where I want it. Porting can be done once it is running and the teething problems corrected. The plan is to run individual throttle bodies from a motorbike. The manifold was made from old exhaust pipe, bent and welded to an inlet manifold blank.

I had never sprayed a car before this, other than the odd wing or repair. I decided the best way to learn is to do it yourself and the worst that could happen is id need to rub it all down again. I started with the engine bay to get a feel for it. I was quite happy with the result.

I Cataloyed the rear arches. This took ages to get right and is not something id like to do again in a hurray.

I rubbed the car down and made up a make shift spray booth.

I gave it a coat of primer all over. This was probably over kill but it meant I could get it nice and smooth for the top coat. The Xbox goat a coat and was finished in flame red with the dregs in the tin.

I sprayed the colour on nice and thick so it could be flattened and polished after. I was delighted with the finish and was better than I thought it would turn out.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I then built up the rack and the fitted the brake lines. This was a huge turning point as I was actually starting to put things on the car rather than take bits off.

The doors were rubbed down and sprayed up. I had to repair the door lock because it was broken into with a screw driver and had dented around the lock.

The doors have now been built up and the vinyl’s put on. The engine is also in and I am in the middle deciding where all the vacuum pipes and alt bracket will attach to the inlet manifold. The windows are in and the doors on. I still need to fit and spray the wings. I left them till I had the doors on so I can get them to line up right. I have more pictures but I am at work just now so ill put them up soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good mate, Keep the updates coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome build matey!! loving the rims!!!

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some effort you've put in mate, really is. Some people would've given up I think. Quite a lot of tin worm but respect for not scrapping it and saving one to use for competition.

Should be a great weapon when done

Keep it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks very nice cant wait to see it finished