Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIA Kill Switch Wiring Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default FIA Kill Switch Wiring Guide

There is not really any clear guides around on how to do this, so this is half a guide for anyone who is doing this (Iainel ) and half help for myself!

BUT I need a little help on finishing it off as I'm not clear on the last two wires that need connecting to the kill switch from the ignition. (Sorry the photo's aren't great)

I have labeled my starter switch wiring, which two of these ignition lives needs to go to which terminals on the bottom of the the kill switch??

And Kill Switch wiring so far....

Thanks in advance, and hopefully this is helpful for others

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am struggling with mine, but on the standard battery, you have 2 cables going to the battery in all the project threads i have looked at including the above photo's only have 1, what happens to the other power cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Stig
    I am struggling with mine, but on the standard battery, you have 2 cables going to the battery in all the project threads i have looked at including the above photo's only have 1, what happens to the other power cable.
    Do you mean I only have one cable from the battery? If so this is because I have relocated the battery to the boot, and ran one single wire to the switch... Then the second wire that also goes to your battery positive (the big red ign. live in my pic) I have ran to the switch as I want to kill everything when the switch is turned off, as I don't have a clock etc, that needs a constant live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no i meant that a standard nova battery has 2 cables going to the possitive only. Do you just put them both to the cut off switch and then run one wire from the cut off switch to the battery.

Also i found this if it's of any help. Looks like to coil and to starter button.

Last edited by General Lee; 08-12-10 at 05:32 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is this any good for you? >LINK< If not I'll remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the '2' side that Ian is struggling with, what to connect up to it.

Ian is the '2' circuit made or broken when you remove the switch key? (Can test it with a multimeter to check) If it's broken you should be okay routing the second in from the right of your first picture through the killswitch so it cuts the ign live to the coil when the key is removed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the links guys,

Edited, as I'm confusing myself!
    Last edited by nova ian; 08-12-10 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back at an old thread which I put up Lee told me to do it this way...

I go from the battery positive to one on the big terminals on the switch, then from the other big terminal to starter motor. Also from this post I bridge to terminal 1 on the same side (what size wire you recomend for this?)

Yep, basically just stick the switch on the main +ve cable after it comes off the battery. Use some 3mm wire to bridge the +ve to terminal 1

Done

Then from the second teminal one I got to the resistor and from the other side of the resistor to an earth on the chasis

Yep

Done

Ignore the coil side of the switch for now.

Find the wire that runs from your ignition rocker switch back to the fusebox (I would imagine you have a red wire going to one term on your rocker switch, and one or two black wires on the other, maybe even 3 if you are running the starter from that side. Remove however many there are from that side of your rocker switch, and attach them to the coil side of the kill switch. Then run a 4mm wire from the ignition side of the kill switch to the now empty terminal on your rocker switch.

Get this the right way around! if you wire the coil side to the ignition, and the ignition side to the fuse box, it will attempt to run all the power through the resistor, and will smoke like feck

So I interpret that as taking the green wire (my fuel pump), the black fuse box wire and the black coil wire off the starter switch and putting them on the right hand empty terminal in my pic, (Do I need to move the starter button black wire too or can this stay here?) then from the left hand empty terminal I run a new wire back to the switch where the three wires I just mentioned came from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah sounds like Lee is saying move everything off the rocker ign switch and move it to the killswitch, then put one wire between the ign switch and the kill switch.