Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved to Articles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if I thought this going to end up a actuall how to then I'd have made more of an effort,

Right the other inner wing and firewall are next, I'll take pics and add them as I go along.
    success is only limited by a weak mind

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you going to remove the legs they look ok aswell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it will be covered in here when I get round to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, fire wall removal today, first off the tools used, big electric drill for all the easy to get welds then the small air powered 90 degree drill for the hard to get ones, this panel only took a total of 1 hour to remove BUT the shell is completely bare so access is much easier, all the yellow dots mark spot welds, the 2 black dots mark the battery clamp bracket and the single blue dot marks the only spot weld that was to difficult to gain acces to, although a swift chap with a flat blade chisel after all the surrounding welds have been removed is enough to free it off,
    also please note that on the pictures where the spot welds are marked in yellow is where i drilled them from,
    PLEASE NOTE THE INNER WINGS DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED BEFORE REMOVING THE FIREWALL BUT THE SUPPORT PANEL MUST BE REMOVED ON BOTH SIDES TO REMOVE ONLY 1 SPOT WELD ON THE O/S AND 5 ON THE N/S

nearside inside the bulkhead

offside inside the battery tray

any questions, please ask.
    Last edited by bazil; 09-09-10 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread is ace mate keep it up +rep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The o/s inner wing is next then the scuttle panel

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not many nova firewalls have been removed like that! Top job, this is like a how to build a nova from panels, the way factory did guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok kids the scuttle panel today, tis a tw*t of a job and one i will tell you how to shortcut after the pics,

again the inner wing support plates must be removed aswell as the windscreen, but all other parts could be left if required including the firewall which i had removed earlier,

basically there is a long line of spot welds along the edge where the bottom of the windscreen sits, all of these are clear to see so i havent marked them in the pics this time, also drill out the first 2 welds that go up the A post on each side as the scuttle panel sits in the middle of 3 skins on metal.

you can see in the pictures that at each side of the panel at the corner of the A post the panels have been braised together, i tried to apply heat to see if it was only a solder or possabley a lead filler but the weld held fast. I used a hammer and bolster to clear around the panel and to find that the scuttle goes beyond the A post flange and into the A post itself and also has 2 spot welds that cannot be reached by drill as they are in a cavity that cannot be reached either inside or out, using a bolster just makes a huge mess

read on after the pics for my advice on how to remove this panel and replace without making a mess of the A post

as you can see the inner section are to hard to get to, i went this extreme to remove the panel in such a way that a friend can use it.

to remove this panel easier use a 4" angle grinder with a 1mm thick plasma cutting blade ( i got mine from machine mart ) and simply cut very carefully along the seam from the corner of the scuttle at the bottom of the A post along the braised weld and down the edge of the A post to remove the braised weld, do this at both sides ans drill the spot welds along the top of the panel and its a much easier job.

P.S there are no pics of the o/s as its the same as the n/s and i did'nt have much time.