Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Comptoncj's GSI project

Club Member Club Member comptoncj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With all this isolation going on it would be rude not to do a few jobs to the nova. I have recently moved to a new workshop and I’m in the process of moving my nova stuff over there.

The last time I did any work on the gsi was last year. I removed the carb fuel tank and sourced a gte/gsi one and have painted that ready to go on. But the more worrying things I have found are a few patches of dreaded rust! Hats off to Upol as it hid the rust in the front wheel arches very well! I’ve also found some rot in the offside rear inner arch near the fuel filler. So time to get the welder out!

Hope to get stuck in again soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    H27 ODW nova GSI
    B333XYP nova hutchinsons cabriolet

Club Member Club Member comptoncj's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cars now moved to my new workshop, started stripping it out. I was surprised how bad it was. The body repairs I’ve found that must have been done a long long while ago were done to a very average standard!

I’ve found so much filler on what I thought was a pretty sold shell. It’s going to be a full strip down now.

Nearside rear arch is the better of the two and hasn’t been replaced before. The inner arch has rotted away. I suspect due to having the arch lips rolled a long while ago.

Uncovered this on the offside arch. The panel has been spotted on over the top of the old rusty panel. There was around 10mm of filler in places across the 1/4 to blend it all in. I always thought the arches looked a bit wider than other novas I had seen.

The inner arch isn’t good. I’ve got all the arch panels but will have to fabricate some in-between bits to make everything fit.

Just showing the thickness of filler!

Old repair uncovered.

Starting to cut the rot out. My first time doing anything like this so a bit of a learning curve!

Too late now! Next on the list is to chop out the inner arch back to decent metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    H27 ODW nova GSI
    B333XYP nova hutchinsons cabriolet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks for the best - can't be leaving stuff that isn't right!