Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: pip's mk2 gsi replica build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With everything off the block I gave everything a clean using a wire wheel and multiple washes with a degreaser which helped loads and really gave me chance to clean everything up rather than flinging grease everywhere.
    I replaced the seals in the block at the same time, heres a few pictures of the big end seal and the metal piece being resealed at the same time. I didn't replace this previously on an xe in my Corsa and first time it was started it wee'd oil everywhere so didn't want to take the gearbox off once it's in.
    I painted the core plugs in the car colour which isn't Arden blue, it's very different to Arden. Then I painted the whole block with hammerite and it came up brilliantly even with a brush leaving no brush marks and I did one side at a time and left plenty of drying time between.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I left the pistons and crank in place as the all felt smooth and working correctly, I meant to previously put the pistons have markings of 86.44mm so I'm presuming this may have had a rebore at some point? Are standard c20lets 86.00mm?
    When taking the sump off one bolt had rounded so I had the a nut on to get this out and sand lightly everything back again from any splatter that went on the smooth block part, the pistons and crank were covered so nothing went inside the block too.
    I upgraded the oil pump and pick up pipe to a z20let pump and pipe to suit along with a new baffle plate and rubber gasket, Both the oil pump and sump were painted silver and the oil pump had new gaskets too. All sump bolts were then replaced with stainless steel bolts and washers and the z20let pump had to have two larger bolts but I can't remember the size of them of the top of my head but it's all on the internet the exact size for anyone that needs it, rather than drilling larger holes in the sump I decided to add nylon bolts to longer standard width bolts.
    To try and seal the sump fully i added a thin line of Vauxhall gasket sealant too.

Last edited by nova_pipi; 19-05-18 at 08:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flipped the engine the right way round on the stand and started working upwards, I got the head cleaned up and painted hammerite silver along with cleaning the base of the valves and tops of the pistons of any carbon build up and gave them a light polish. I fitted a new head gasket and head bolts and refitted the head along with cleaning out the tappets and reoiling them at the same time. I then remitted the cams the same as they came out with new seals and correct torque readings from the Haynes manual.
    When refitting stretch bolts in the head are the bolts meant to make a cracking noise as the tighten? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the cams painted up in car colour along with the inlet in silver and the slightly lowered tie bars painted up in black too. Everything came up great. And when fitted look great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the main piece of the engine I had the L-piece painted car colour with black writing and the main cam cover painted a very similar colour to rays wheels bronze colour, the different pictures show how it comes up in different lights bit in person is a dark bronze colour with a Matt finish. This colours going to link with a few other bits on the car too when finally finished.
    I think it's come up brilliantly and the colours go really well together.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's going to one pretty engine, lovely and shiny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    That's going to one pretty engine, lovely and shiny.
    Thanks, it's already there I just need to catch up on the thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From here I wanted to run an oil cooler but I didn't want it feeding through to the front of the car and wanted something compact and hidden so I decided to go with a z20let oil and water coolant part, this replaced the standard pipe and bolts in the same place and connects up same as a standard oil cooler. The hardest part really was getting pipes to fit the various bits and bobs it needed.
    I also fitted the cam pulleys, z20let water pump as it had better fins, the backing plate, pulley bracket I have thrown in a before picture to show the difference but it's really coming together now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the pictures being on there side in some cases they upload as they should then change once finished, does anyone know how to sort this? Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That oil cooler is a great idea, I didnt know they had them.