Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: pip's mk2 gsi replica build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    That oil cooler is a great idea, I didnt know they had them.
    I didn't either they're a really good idea and save a load of space and bother I think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nova managed to have a few bits of work done on the shell and got moved to the front of the work shop but has been there a while now and has made a bit more progress but more on that later.
    I got the inlet fitted and piped up with a few pictures showing the space left and room for the icv and coil pack too, I also got a few more engine bits painted up and smoothed the oil filler cap but I may need to go over it again at some point as it's not overly smooth. I fitted the cam cover but not the belt and pulleys just to keep it from being damaged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put the fuel rail back on and heat shield just so I could see the finished result even though it's not quite there, a few bits need piping up but will be done when in the car I think as I'm hiding alot of the pipes. It's come out great I feel and I've tried to build it so everything I have put back on the engine is either painted or stainless.
    Can't wait to actually get it in the car now when it comes back from being painted.
    The turbo will need plumbing in etc too but will be done in the car so nothing's damaged when fitting the engine.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking Brilliant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottmasterton View Post
    Looking Brilliant
    Thanks it's come up great, can't wait to get it in the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it's been a long time since I updated this thread, large amounts of the updates were about the engine build with the intention I'd have the car back over the summer after the repaint to begin the rebuild, this took a lot longer than planned and now 2 and half years later has finally been repainted and I'm due to pick it up on Saturday.
    So with this news I better get updating, especially on the shell, missed loads of bits before it went off the be painted to so will catch up with these.
    Get the welding done on the fuel filler and the cap filed down to give a good fit, this has all since been tidied up and looks lovely and smooth.
    This fits nicely in the door shut and doesn't foul on any other parts.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The aim with the engine bay was to have it as smooth as possible, I never really liked how to wiring loom came up through the passenger side footwell and made the shape different to the drivers side on the firewall, so as the wiper motor was being relocated and the wiring loom was being relocated this was a prime time to make something up that I liked, the firewall was cut out and the loom hole was welded up, from here I shaped up some thin steel and welded this in, I'm really happy with the shape and once the welds are ground back and a skim of filler is applied it will look great. At the same time I made a notch in the chassis leg for the alternator, I didn't really like the full box section versions so cut three sides of the section and shaped this with some plate to make a smooth recess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures from the firewall modifications and chassis notch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about leaving the back arches as they were in pretty good condition but there was always something I wasn't sure about on them after previously having new arches fitted by someone else so decided to grind everything back and see what the result was and what I found, upon little digging you can see I found a large amount of filler over both quarters reaching right down to the sill, I then took everything back and found that a repair panel had just been welded over the top of the old panel that had just had the rust cut out.
    This meant that moisture was being trapped in between the two panels and you can see from the pictures it looked a mess so a large amount of panel had to be cut back to fix this and get the shape right.
    Overall I'm glad I decided to go ahead with replacing the panels.