Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: FIA Kill Switch Wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    They are a tad close together and the stickers aren't perfectly clear due to how its laid out, the porsche is a better example, but yeah they are easily confusable I guess, and maybe it's a piece of equipment that could be made far better, but that's how it's done most of the time currently, changing them has other implications in "Wheres the battery cut off, I can't see the red T handle" type heat of the moment mistakes.
    The porsche isn't the best example because you cant see the method of isolation. I would imagine its not a pull cord, but either a key switch or a button.

We can agree to differ here, I stand corrected that T pull cords ARE used as electrical isolation, but I sure as hell wouldnt want one on my car thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    And don't forget your T handle on the outside

I wont chip in on the wiring of it, Lee is your man for that, I get confused with the normal ignition switches
    Cool, I'll await his response then

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    The porsche isn't the best example because you cant see the method of isolation. I would imagine its not a pull cord, but either a key switch or a button.

We can agree to differ here, I stand corrected that T pull cords ARE used as electrical isolation, but I sure as hell wouldnt want one on my car thats for sure.
    Quite possibly, I couldn't say, it does look like the handle would show if it was there. If they're far enough apart and well labelled, then it should avoid any issues 99% of the time, and I know my mate that races 924's has had plenty of incidents without someone yanking the fire extinguisher by mistake. Depends how experienced the marshalls are I guess.

I'd rather have one than not if that was the option, if a marshall is there ready to pull it chances are something has already gone wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova ian

I go from the battery positive to one on the big terminals on the switch, then from the other big teminal to starter motor. Also from this post I bridge to terminal 1 on the same side (what size wire you recomend for this?)

Yep, basically just stick the switch on the main +ve cable after it comes off the battery. Use some 3mm wire to bridge the +ve to terminal 1

Then from the second teminal one I got to the resistor and from the other side of the resistor to an earth on the chasis

Yep

Terminal 2 to the coil (which wire + or -)??

And finally senond terminal 2 to the ignition switch (again which wire do I use here, I have one of the rocker switch/push button starts)?

Ignore the coil side of the switch for now.

Find the wire that runs from your ignition rocker switch back to the fusebox (I would imagine you have a red wire going to one term on your rocker switch, and one or two black wires on the other, maybe even 3 if you are running the starter from that side. Remove however many there are from that side of your rocker switch, and attach them to the coil side of the kill switch. Then run a 4mm wire from the ignition side of the kill switch to the now empty terminal on your rocker switch.

Get this the right way around! if you wire the coil side to the ignition, and the ignition side to the fuse box, it will attempt to run all the power through the resistor, and will smoke like feck

Hopefully the above is somewhere near right apart from not knowing which wires to take off for coil and ignition!

Cheers guys
    Let me know if that confuses you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Lee, your a star!

Need to be a bigger rep whore before I can give you anymore

Thanks

I better not say that I was going o use an external switch to link up to key on the cut off! but I dont have an extinguisher as of yet, but would prob swap it over when I do get one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova ian
    Cheers Lee, your a star!

Need to be a bigger rep whore before I can give you anymore

Thanks

I better not say that I was going o use an external switch to link up to key on the cut off! but I dont have an extinguisher as of yet, but would prob swap it over when I do get one!
    Nah, do it if you want, just make sure its clear as day and not easy to mix up if you do get an extinguisher

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is mine and the pull cable is mounted out side