Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FIA Kill Switch Wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that on a proper competition car ? because IMO they should never be that close together when they're that similar mainly due to the ease of mr friendly marshall filling your not on fire car up with foam!

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    Is that on a proper competition car ? because IMO they should never be that close together when they're that similar mainly due to the ease of mr friendly marshall filling your not on fire car up with foam!
    That's why they're marked with nice big stickers I would imagine. Also seems to be the "done thing" to have the extinguiser inboard or on the left as you look at the front of the car, and electrical on the right or outboard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    It's an electrical master switch, can read here: http://www.xworksmotorsport.com/bmw11.htm

I do actually know what I'm saying here, they're installed in friends porsche race cars and a workmates drift car to meet FIA/MSA regs.
    Straight of MSA website regs:

Plumbed-In Systems

A list of MSA-approved plumbed-in extinguisher kits
    is available on request. If AFF, these must be FIA/MSA
    homologated. The Large unit should have two points of
    triggering, one for the Driver (and Co-Driver in Rallies)
    and one outside the car for activation by Marshals etc.
    The triggering point from the exterior must be
    positioned close to the Circuit Breaker (or combined
    with it) and must be marked by the letter ‘E’ in red
    inside a white circle of at least 10cm diameter with a

red edge.

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not disputing that fire extinguishers have 2 points of trigger, but the thing in the BMW pic, and next to the extinguisher in other 2 pics, is the outer part of the electrical cut off switch, which is a T handle, which is directly connected via a bike brake style cable to the actual electrical switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MK999
    Not disputing that fire extinguishers have 2 points of trigger, but the thing in the BMW pic, and next to the extinguisher in other 2 pics, is the outer part of the electrical cut off switch, which is a T handle, which is directly connected via a bike brake style cable to the actual electrical switch.
    I bow to you here sire, you are absolutely correct, but I have only seen this done where the cable leading to the interior switch is attached to the extinguisher handle. Otherise, i've only ever seen a button or a proper twist key externally.

i still stand by those two handles on that blue car being easily confused in the heat of the moment. ive seen the aftermath of an accidental extinguisher depoyment. it really isn't pretty and ruins everything inside the car.

if that was MY car i would change that setup asap.

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this should end it I hope Fitting and explanation of the T pull switches here: http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=20 The site doesn't support single post views unfortunately but, scroll down to the pic of the switches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is asking for it IMO, but if it clears the regs then it clears the regs i guess.

I certainly would never do anything remotely like that of I were in the same position.

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are a tad close together and the stickers aren't perfectly clear due to how its laid out, the porsche is a better example, but yeah they are easily confusable I guess, and maybe it's a piece of equipment that could be made far better, but that's how it's done most of the time currently, changing them has other implications in "Wheres the battery cut off, I can't see the red T handle" type heat of the moment mistakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this threads gone mental!

So to get back to basics and help a wiring retard and kill switch virgin like myself, in simple terms

I go from the battery positive to one on the big terminals on the switch, then from the other big teminal to starter motor. Also from this post I bridge to terminal 1 on the same side (what size wire you recomend for this?)

Then from the second teminal one I got to the resistor and from the other side of the resistor to an earth on the chasis

Terminal 2 to the coil (which wire + or -)??

And finally senond terminal 2 to the ignition switch (again which wire do I use here, I have one of the rocker switch/push button starts)?

Hopefully the above is somewhere near right apart from not knowing which wires to take off for coil and ignition!

Cheers guys

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And don't forget your T handle on the outside

I wont chip in on the wiring of it, Lee is your man for that, I get confused with the normal ignition switches