Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Czech it out Nova Rallyx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Weber all done and ready to go on the engine BUT I've not been happy with the way it has been running so we did a compression test and number 1 pot was very low on compression,so I have a spare engine and decided to change the bottom end.
    We took the the head off the rally engine and could not find any fault or problem which is a bit annoying as I now have no idea why the compression was low, Tested the head all good there, head gasket good, no sign of water in the oil or oil in the water
    Ho yer.

But we did find this problem.

I think I need a new one

But for the time being I will use my old SR manifold and down pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now it's on to the engine swap which is being done in a real farm barn not the best place but at lease it's dry.
    Take the old rally used engine out.

with the help of a pulley hanging from one of the old wood beams.

Bit's and pieces in boxes everywhere.

The block I will put in.

Not in bad condition.

We put the Block and gearbox back in the car with a new clutch plate and then built up the rest complete with the Weber 40 DCOE's.
    Then came the time to start it, the first couple of tries it fired but did not run and then brumm brumm IT'S A LIFE ..........
    ....For 2 minutes and it just dies and will not restart not even a hint of firing
    After a quick look around I found this had happened.

The end of the camshaft had broken off
    and take the Dizzy drive pin with it

What I'm not happy with is that this cam is only about 1500 Km old, will not be buying any more products from that company again..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay after some problem with the supply of my new camshaft from Piper I was ready to do some work on the car last weekend.
    I now had a new motorsports spec distributor, new camshaft followers and camshaft from Piper Cam's.
    Also wanted to fit the solid engine mounts, I like the way nobody tells you that you must do some modifications to the mount points in the car to fit these things !!!
    like you need new bolts for the back gearbox mount to body, you make all the holes where the bolt goes through from the middle of the mount into the chassis bigger as the new solid mount has bigger bolts in it than standard ones .

The rally car is now up and running I'm just sorting out a rolling road setup session to do the Weber's , cam and dizzy timing.
    I could be going to Poland to have it done !.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay loads to update one this one and it will be over the next few days before I get to the end.
    So I did a 600Km trip up to Risse motorsport in Germany to have the Weber's set up

Got there at 9 in the evening and slept in the van over night so we could start on the car first thing in the morning !
    Got the car on the rolling road and it was running but not good they messed with it for a bit set the camshaft timing but was still rough
    A bit more looking a round then came the bad news one of the twin Webers has a hair line crack in it on the inside which let extra petrol into just one side causing all the running problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I had no choice but to put the bike carbs back on the car for the first rally of the year
    Start number 16 was given to us ( I like the number 16 ) I made a fast start to the rally and had a big moment on one corner which caught out a good few cars (in car video is in the video thread: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthr...ith-big-moment )
    The 2nd stage was driven a bit slower but I need to get back on it for the 3rd stage which was a repeat of the 1st test but the engine felt and sounded off song and just yards before the finish line the engine let go

Which caused a small fire.

Found this when I took the sump guard off

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that a ARP big end bolt? If so, you did chamfer the big end caps prior to fitting the ARP bolts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1396rally View Post
    Is that a ARP big end bolt? If so, you did chamfer the big end caps prior to fitting the ARP bolts?
    No it had standard big end bolts and that's why it failed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And so it goes on!
    I removed the bust engine and stripped it down and there was more bad news in the same pot in which the con rod broke lose I now have 2 bent valves in the cylinder head and of course they are none standard ones

So after a some time trying to get a replacement over sized valves I found some but I must buy 2 full sets, one set inlet one set exhaust and they where not cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can imagine I'm not to keen that this will happen again so I shelled out £70 and bought these

and now to put them in my old (well old and used) but reliable NV (SR) block

With out

Half way there

I could show you a photo of them all in but you know what that would look like anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started to prep the engine for a bit of paint

Now with a touch of colour

Did the gearbox while I was at it

Then started to put the motor back together again