Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO DO BASIC BODY PREP WORK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HOW TO DO BASIC BODY PREP WORK

I found these bits after trawling the net.

www.carsprays.co.uk

This gives a basic overview of respraying and damage repair

www.chpower.com/pentry.asp?prid=CH3000&lid=10

This one gives a basic intro into a guy that rebuilt a ford mustang. The pics are good for basic details on how to prep a car, respray it and polish up.

Thought it would make a good start to those that want info on prep work and saves me repeating myself!

Feel free to add any other links

Ade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also - for a ruddy good read try getting "how to paint your car" from www.motorbooks.com

Also Haynes do an excellent one on bodywork www.haynes.co.uk

enjoy

:D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry but you can not learn how to do body repair work by reading books if you wanna learn go outside in the garage bring the car in and get cracking as you will only be able to do it with your hands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intereting comment m8 - but before you start you might wanna know what your letting yourself in for and at least understand the basics before taking 80 grit wet n dry and a grinder to your car! the books and sites are designed to give people an insight into the order in which to do basic prep and body work.

tthey give you some valuable info on the techniques involved and the timescales for projects - saves the abandoned half finished stuff"

just bringing your car in and getting stuck in is one way to do it but if you dont plan and dont know what your doing you'll feck your car and it'll cost more in the long run to repair.

its your choice how you do it - I just recommend you follow a set process - they were also posted because people kept asking the same things - these sites answer some of the questions asked.

:wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 grit wet n dry

surely P80 aint wet n dry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

books are good if you no nothing at all about body repairs just so you can learn basic terminology and also so you know was products are available and how n when to use them. if you wanna learn how to paint etc buy a couple of panels from a scrappers n have a go. practice makes perfect and you will learn from ur mistakes. a bodyshop suppliers should give you good advice too. (a proffesional place not halfords or motorworld unless u want crap advice)if you do have ago, practice, get the hang of it and sort something for urself. you know if youve done it yourself n if its good u can be proud of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with ade 100% that?s a really daft remark. For starters everybody takes in knowledge different ways some by reading and others practically. If you choose ?bring the car in and get cracking? with out any kind of knowledge about what you are about to do or someone showing you it will end in tears. You need to be told/shown and understand the basics otherwise poor results will be your only results. Plus a lot of people just cant do bodywork it is a skill which needs to be matured over time and practice( I am taking about 1st class jobs none of this quick blow over crap). You can only go so far with out the use of books, videos etc. Even if you don?t agree with other people methods its good to know them to help you develop in your skills.

If reading is not your thing remember there are lots of videos etc

www.dukevideo.com/Products/M523.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...295112-2003820

anything from jon komoski is worth reading and watching!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi buddy,my advice would be to read as much as you can,talk to as many folk as you can and get as much practice as you can on scrap parts before attempting anything on your car
    trust me you can never learn or read to much about this kind of thing,only time will produce good results

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being a sprayer,my advice would be to read up on it a little bit,and using ****hole tins will get you knowwhere,this industry is growing and getting more advanced everyday you have to be competent with maths for mixing,paint/thinners/activators i you dont get it spot on it will go a little pete tong,i have always maintaned preparation is always the most important for a goof paint job,but also not being able to mix and apply paint will waste all the preparation work,get a bonnet sand it down prep it e.g rust scrtached dents etc prime it spray it,dont do fancy vents or badboy bonnets just try a standard bonnet with a hvlp(high viscosity low pressure) gun,or anti gravity! sum people make it out to be easy to do,ive given a mate a shot of spraying his own centre console he made a pure **** of it(he was being cocky telling me its easy!!

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its vital to do some reading up first, painting and repairing its easy job to do even when you know how , the worst thing you could possibley do is start on your own pride and joy make a mess then have to pay someone to put it right.

What i found useful before i got in the game, was to read a little and practice on a old panel i had laying around. what also makes it hard to get a nice finish is the guns you use and the paints, with the paints being waterbased now makes its really hard on people without a ovenbake or heaters