Page 63 of 105 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast

Thread: My version of a 4x4 nova that will get done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazil
    , weight IMO isn't an issue,
    as I've said before in this thread, my S3 is 1450kg with only 210 bhp yet it does 0-62 mph in 6.5 and on to 150 mph,

500+bhp in a car that may weigh less that 1000kg will be insane

infact I can't think of any production car that will weigh the same and has as much power?

FFS an Audi R8 V8 weighs more and has less power than your target Ste.

i completly agree mate but theres alot that dont also what i keep stressing but nobody seems to take any notice is that the weight balence is going to be alot more even than what any striped nova could ever dream of other than dumping quater of a ton of lead in the boot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a stupid question mate but with the locked transfer box is it posable to run RWD only? Or say bias the power to the rear ie 70-30 split?
    ( this isn't a suggestion but a question as you are up to speed and I'm not)
    success is only limited by a weak mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ste porter
    ok just to settle all those with weight concerns
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...=VIDEO0089.mp4
    had to lift a completely bare shell the other day, and it was not as easy as that it will be the nuts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazil
    This is a stupid question mate but with the locked transfer box is it posable to run RWD only? Or say bias the power to the rear ie 70-30 split?
    ( this isn't a suggestion but a question as you are up to speed and I'm not)
    no mate the locked part in the box is the 4 wheel drive engagment its normaly controled by a clutch system run of the power steering and controled by its own ecu

im bining this like i have in my cav turbo and replacing the clutch system with locking rings so its permenant 4x4

the power split is goverened by a viscous couplin and basicly its a load of plates very close together emersed in a synthetic fluid the hotter the fluid get the thicker it becomes. The thicker it becomes the more friction is created and the more the discs bind which inturn sends more power to the rear

what alot of people dont know aswell is that the rear diff is actualy a slightly different ratio to the final drive in an f28 deliberatly to cause this to heat up

problem is if it gets to hot the discs break down and the coupling goes bang which is why they have temp senders as standard so if it gets to hot it disengages the 4x4 to protect the box

problem is im locking mine so i wont be able to do that but what i am doing is fitting a thermostat controled oil cooler so at a certain temp it will switch on an electric pump and circulate the oil through a cooler to keep the oil at a desired temp
    this is also why i have decided to put my hand in my pocket and buy a qrew transfer box aswell

Hull, East Yorkshire. Drives: Vectra V6 'rusty bus'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

problem is im locking mine so i wont be able to do that but what i am doing is fitting a thermostat controled oil cooler so at a certain temp it will switch on an electric pump and circulate the oil through a cooler to keep the oil at a desired temp
    this is also why i have decided to put my hand in my pocket and buy a qrew transfer box aswell

You fcuking clever lad, i knew you gots brains in your bonce but seriously thats some clever thinking dude

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in regards to the weight i will take a pic later as i can happily and easily still lift the front of this with 1 arm to head hight i have stressed it time and time agin over various stages of the build i dont think you realise how light this is.

its holow box section with 3 mm wall thicknes on the large rear frame and its 2mm on the 25 x 25 not solid bar! a man at the back and a man at the front and this can now be lifted to head hight so hardly heavy

i think that alot of people realy underestimate how much i have removed steel wise. what you see on a nova floor plan is 1 skin and what i underestimated was the sheer number of skins in the floor ect.
    in some parts the steel in the floor where about 5 skins come together is about 8 mm thick and an 8 mm steel plate in comparison to a length of box section is bloody heavy!
    the best way for people to realise this is if you see it for yourself and anybody local is more than welcome

it will be heavy when complete in comparison to its former striped form but im estimating only by about 200kg. This will be mainly due to the adition of indipendant rear suspension set up, rear diff, prop, and transfer box

so yes when done it will be heavyer but in its current state i belive its proberly lighter to be honest

also dont forget the weight its gained will be better spread and more balanced across the car and the 4x4 will be making up for the massive traction loss isues i had in front wheel drive
    so any disadvantages in regards to weight will be far out weighed by the gains and advantages made by the 4x4 system handling and the magic 500 hp mark im aiming for under the bonnet

you should be called the nova doctor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible Building there, really can't wait to see this thing go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ste is it possible to make a mount which goes to both the front crossmember and chassis leg?? im just thinking it will be incredibly strong and stop the engine trying to twist itself out of the shell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgo
    ste is it possible to make a mount which goes to both the front crossmember and chassis leg?? im just thinking it will be incredibly strong and stop the engine trying to twist itself out of the shell
    thats what im looking at doing mate hence why im going of the lower set of holes on the block and i will then fit a stabiliser near the top at the rear to prevent rock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats what im looking at doing mate hence why im going of the lower set of holes on the block and i will then fit a stabiliser near the top at the rear to prevent rock
    thought so , will be pucka