Thread: Cooling Fan Wiring

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cooling Fan Wiring

After buying the Cav and it getting delivered i notcied a big flick switch and couldnt work out what it was for until i actually heard it working. It is wired up to the cooling fan. The wires have been cut from standard loom and wired up to this switch. Now im not a perfectionist but i dont want it that way. a mate told me to wire it into the side lights and just drive with them on all the time but thats not right. How are the cooling fans wired up as standard? just so i dont need to worry about it and i know its how it should be.

Thanks for any help
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

normally

battery - fuse - thermostat switch - fan - earth

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool thanks, will just need to have a look through haynes for location or the switch.... im good at wiring, do alot of alarms etc but the diagrams in haynes just confuse me ha ha

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could probably do a better job of the wiring than vauxhall did!

Hefty (eg 30A) fuse required, as even the little demister fan draws 11A when on full blast. If the thermoswitch in the radiator is u/s (which could be the reason the bypass switch was bodged in) some coolant will need to be drained off to change it, obviously.

I am not sure whether the thermoswitch takes all the current, or a relay is involved....A relay would be better.

The trigger current for the relay can be wired via the ignition so it is not possible for the fan to stay on when the engine is off.

I have been known to piggyback the thermoswitch and have an additional fan switch on the dash as a precaution. More particularly on the Mark 2 Cav. which gets hot in traffic quite quickly.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool thanks very very much for that so the thermoswitch is located in the rad?i have seen a wiring plug around it hopefully thats it will have to see tomorrow cheers again!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah usually in the rad.... If removing it, it generally requires an unfeasibly large spanner or adjustable spanner (and there isn't much room to wield it!)

New switches come with a replacement washer but the old one will probably be ok if you use red hermetite. Don't overtighten.