Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good work on the rear set-up pal

that accord looks the sht aswell !!!

Senior User
    Sunny Sunderland by the sea. Well, inbetween there and Durham.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers fella.

The trailing arms have been todays focus. Started with a length of tube, some 30mm bar and a couple of rose joints.

The idea being to make an insert in the lathe that would be drilled and tapped. An M16 bolt added (all welded together) then the RJ will screw onto the protruding bolt threads.

Cutting through this sh!t with a hacksaw takes it out of you (me anyway)

Rons dream machine in action (H) Cheers again mate. One day I'll have one of those. Until then. All of this is much appreciated!

Kind of how it will look. Obviously the trailing arm bars need cutting down and bolting in and the insert needs welding to the tube.

Quick update cos I'm knackered and CBA!
    Last edited by L14MNP; 10-03-10 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mate this project is the sh*t!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ta mate. Here's hoping it works all works as planned,

If I get time this evening I want to get the beam back on the car and the trailing arms on. Still need to shorten the beam and TA'S and a few other jobs but nothing too taxing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shweeet mate hope all goes well for you but i cant wait to see this finished!! it will be a awesome car!!! absolutely awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats awesome! crazy amount of work, sure it should be worth all the hassle and late nights ! are you going to race it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff Liam, altho you could have just cut it using the lathe

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again Wudge. It's kind comments like yours and many others I have read that really spur me on if I'm not in the zone .

allysr, No plans to mate. Just want something fun I can blat about in and what I can drive to the odd track day. The main aim is making the car a decent base to build on so I can develop further in the future. If I can sort an MSA cage out (properly) then I guess I could look into hillclimbing maybe.
    I dunno. I will be happy just to have it on the road . Thanks mate.

Mike. The cutting job on the lathe can't go that deep mate! It managed it after the bar was drilled out to 14mm though. Believe me, the easy option is always the first consideration!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got the beam back in one piece (and more importantly lined up straight) it's been a right fcuk on to allign the inner tube with the outer and have the disc that bolts the two together rotated the correct way for the PCD to bolt up.

It's down to the fact that the inner tube is original and is welded to the hubs at an angle and straightens up in the middle. Due it now being something like 45mm shorter than standard (I forget ATM) and me welding a new full sized outer tube it required bending to sit central. No amount of fcuking on with a vice/spacers/big bars etc was getting it precise enough. Finally it is, thanks to this:

This washer sits inside the outer tube and keeps the inner central. Job done.

I now have muchos room for discs, camber or width spacers and wider wheels if I desire.

I had a play with the trailing arms with my mate. Bit of a balls up on my part when making the brackets - they're angled the wrong way!

So this was called into action for the first time.

They fit like a glove now - just hope I haven't cut them too short or I'll need new tube.

Beam tucked right up and nothing catching.

Originally the idea was to have the trailing arms straight, however now these have been bent (good job Micks a plumber Cheers mate!) i think I prefer this way. They are tucked up right out of the way and still clear the chassis leg by a couple of mm with the car on it's lowest setting - which it will probably never see.

Now the arms are sort of done I just require drilling the brackets on the car out to 16mm or having my mate turn me a collar to allow the original 12mm bolts to be used in the rose joints. Seeing as they are M16 though i think i will drill the car out.

There's a bit more to be cut out of the bodywork on the N/S (door step, some inner arch) and more was cut from the O/S yesterday (chassis leg overhang, bit of floor ) then I can set the wheelbase and finally will be able to start on the tubs.

As always I want to get cracking on this, but my Volvo is going to be seeing some attention over the next few weeks as I am wanting it another inch lower and to tidy it up a bit after the winter kicked it's 4rse so it may intrude on the project that should be known as 'As and when'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L14MNP

Final question on brake discs. Is there any notable reasons why I shouldn't run front discs on the rear? Or are the usual reasons just down to caliper clearance/fitment etc?
    the need for a legal, working handbrake is the only thing you will have trouble with.